• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Add Trans Temp Gauge. Where to Locate Sender?

HI,
I'd like to install a transmission temperature gauge but I'm having a hard time finding locations to install the sender unit. I've searched and found some people removing the idiot light sensor and others Teeing off the cooler lines. Let me know your thoughts and experiences please.

Chaski

HI,
I'd like to install a transmission temperature gauge but I'm having a hard time finding locations to install the sender unit. I've searched and found some people removing the idiot light sensor and others Teeing off the cooler lines. Let me know your thoughts and experiences please.

On my 700R4 I have an Autometer "short" sender screwed into the pump pressure test port on the drivers side. Not sure how that would translate to a Turbo 400, but it seems to work well for me.

richingalveston

I am not aware of the cucv having an idiot light for the transmission. To my knowledge there are not any sensors or locations for one on the th400. the only option I know of is to T the line going to the radiator so you get the temp right as it is exiting the transmission

wbdodgeiv

I've seen recommendations for using the 1/8 npt line pressure port on the drivers side of the transmission, that's where I plan to install my gauge.

I've seen recommendations for using the 1/8 npt line pressure port on the drivers side of the transmission, that's where I plan to install my gauge.
Is that the port with the sensor and two wires coming out of it?
What is that sensor for? I thought it was a idiot light but Rich says otherwise.

wbdodgeiv

That’s the kick down solenoid, there is a pipe plug with a square head above and ahead of it. It’s shown in the TM for making line pressure measurements.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok cool so that port is still low enough to be in contact with fluid?
I installed mine in the pressure port.
Works great.

It probably isn’t as accurate as one installed inline a cooling line would be, but it’s close enough.
Oil pan temps are almost spot on with gauge, using a infrared temp gun.

Over three years now and no issues.

sweetk30

i have a remote filter kit on the hot out line before entering the rad cooler . the top is drilled / tapped for 1/8 pipe sender spot . i did this to see how hot i am working my trans before the fluid gets averaged out in the pan and its to late . .. thats my thinking .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks