• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Airless Sprayer- Graco vs...

PareoWC

Gents, after looking at the Behr paint job thread, I'd like to get your opinion on which airless to go with? Currently, I'm looking at the Graco battery operated line with attached cup. but I'm open for suggestions.

My uses will be Behr latex paint for a 3/4T Dodge WC, a converto trailer, and perhaps staining (2) porches. Not sure how much use it will get after that?

Wagner, Flexio, Harbor Fright, etc..?

Attachments

Privatewrench

PareoWC,
I recently purchased the Graco. I went with the plug in (not battery) and the upgraded VSP model. It has a 1 to 10 speed adjustment rather than just the low/high. I've only used it twice so far, but on the same project. I painted an old jerry can with it. It sprayed great, but there is a learning curve to get used to it. I had it set on #5 and used the wide spray nozzle and thinned the paint about 10%. I had paint runs all over the place. It blew way too much paint. I sanded everything back down after a week and tried it again on setting 1, and the narrow spray nozzle and did not thin the paint. I practiced on cardboard this time for awhile. It still comes out pretty heavy, but I figured out how to maneuver it around. The jerry can came out perfect this time. I have to say, the Graco is very easy and quick to clean.

I borrowed a friends Wagner Flexio sprayer over the winter and painted the inside of my truck. That one has 2 different sprayers you choose to attache to the motor unit. The smaller sprayer attachment worked much better. The larger one had too much spatter. I had a hard time adjusting the Wagner to get a smooth finish, and It required a lot more time to clean. I'm a little OCD when it comes to cleaning tools, so the normal person probably wouldn't have as much work.

I've also used the Harbor freight purple sprayer on some small stuff, but the paint has to be thinned quite a bit and the cleaning is a lot of work.

Not sure if this helps you much, but I'm pretty happy with the Graco. I think with a few more paint jobs, I can dial in my technigue better with it and get better results. I plan on using it on the outside of the truck when I get to that part of my restore.

Good luck.
PrivateWrench

PareoWC

Fantastic information, PW! Thanks much.

The reviews online appear to be somewhat favorable, and one commenter said that when his Graco wasn't pumping very well, that the (2) o-rings were easily replaceable from Ace Hardware, and he was back into business. Their customer service and warranty is supposed to be decent as well.

I like that 360 VSP, but I sure wonder if the cordless would be nice, as I live on a good sized piece of property and already have 20v DeWalt batteries handy..

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You’re probably already bought something by now but here’s my opinion.

I have the Graco 360 VSP
Used it to paint a S-280 shelter over 2 years ago.
Sherman-Williams Exterior Latex.

Practice on something first as you get used to the settings and handling.
Technique is everything.
Once you get it dialed in, it sprays great.

My big complaint is the paint holder.
Very messy to keep taking off and adding paint
It’s not a clean process as paint gets everywhere when taking it off, filling, reinstalling.

The S-280 shelter turned out very well.
The paint was sprayed even and no splattered patches.
Very happy with the results.

6C8799E6-560C-4C53-A5CC-9D8A97A54061.jpg
Day after painting.
It was moved to its permanent location soon after.

PareoWC

Tin, I took your opinion and those of a lot of SS members, and got the 360 VSP as well. I can't wait to use it in conjunction with that Behr paint! If it turns out half as good as your shelter, I'll be content..

Weller

That S-280 shelter looks great, I'll be painting one this summer and will show before and afters.

I've gone Harbor Freight for nearly all my sprayers, there's newer (more expensive) models now but have not tried them.

I painted several shelters and shipping containers using the KRAUSE & BECKER Airless Paint Sprayer Kit (it's a big unit).

I've also used 2 or 3 different $10 - $50 sprayers (both airless and ones on a tank) and I've found they can all do the job for standard tasks like flat browns and olive drabs. I have not painted vehicles with one yet.

I've learned thickness of paint, straining of paint, temperature of paint, and having patience to prep everything first is most important. Clogged nozzles are no fun.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks