• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trapdoor Gin Pole Project underway, feedback/suggestions appreciated.

gentrysgarage

First the mandantory disclaimer I am not an ME, nor have I done any calculations on what I am building. This is only a ongoing documentation of what I am building to suit my own needs. No warranty is stated or implied as to fitness and safety of what I am building. Use the info at your own risk! Etc, etc you get the gist.....
It has finally started,
After extinguishing all options on the remove and replace motor in the M135, I researched for what has to be over a year and came up with the preliminary design to follow (BTW the best sources of info is here and welding web if you want to build your own). The boom poles are sized the same as a truck on welding we with the outer legs 2 1/2" by 3/16"
wall by 10' square tube, the inner tube is 2" by 1/4" wall by 10'. I will be using a separate sleeved lower leg that is patterned after the pole-setting trucks. I have a Hummper 12,000 lbs electric winch that is a planetary type that I might have to change out for a worm drive down the line (it has been said that the worm drives hold the load better and last longer with a gin pole setup) but its a run whatcha go situation. Pleas feel free to make comments and suggestions here are my crude drawings and parts I have on hand as of right now:
IMG_2318.jpgIMG_2317.jpgIMG_2320.jpgIMG_2321.jpg
You will note that I have 3 different mast head designs, my favorite is the first one, but would be permanent unless I wanted to remove the hook to take it down. The third one is the simplest, but as of right now I am leaning towards the second one.
I am waiting on the rest of my steel material order and the following parts from ePay
shackle mount.jpgshackle mount1.jpgsnatch shackle.jpgsnatch.jpg

​Tell me what you think...Thanks!

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
"my steel material order" Just drilling 5/8" holes thru 1/4" and 5/16" steel.
What flavor steels are ordered?
Is it 1018 or what is it your going to use?
Is it steel referred to as A572 grade 55?

gentrysgarage

"my steel material order" Just drilling 5/8" holes thru 1/4" and 5/16" steel.
What flavor steels are ordered?
Is it 1018 or what is it your going to use?
Is it steel referred to as A572 grade 55?
HiYa Frank,
Some flavors are easy others are not so much
The tube is A-500
bought plate is 1018 or 1020 hot rolled
The 5/16ish plate on the other hand is a little harder to pin down. It is leftover Japanese steel from a Mitsubishi elevator retrofit mod we did at my day job almost 2 years ago. It and the 4130 steel I have are the only steels in my garage that don't have flash rust on them so it is made of some better stuff. This plate is definitely not 4130 but much better composition than the 1018/1020 steel...but cost me nothing.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Are you drilling freehand with portable or a drill press or a portable magnetic drill press?
Are you using Morse taper twist drills or a chuck with Silver and Deming type twist drills?
If you could reduce the font size you are using, that would be helpful, I can read your posts from across the room.

gentrysgarage

It gives me a headache when I type small font and already have my screen set for 150% and use glasses when on the computer and measuring, I guess this is my handicap.
I will always avoid freehand drilling whenever possible. My machines are a 1969 Black and Decker mag drill with a cracked motor case with a 1/2 inch Jacobs chuck for the silver and deming twist drill bits. The drill press I use is a mutt made up of a late 1950's Craftsman base and pedastal/table with a 1975 Rockwell head and a 3/8" Jacobs chuck for the silver and deming twist drill bits.

Is font size 3 better? I can still read this without glasses.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Even if he isn't interested, I sure am. If we dont get permission to use this thread, I have no problem starting another. Let us know how you feel Gentry.

gentrysgarage

A little more of where tentatively the boom storage would be:
[FONT=&quot]I think the wood runner between the bed and frame on the M135 was 1 1/2 to 2". I had some pieces of it but the wife thought it was termite infested and tossed it out for me. The design right now has the option of the poles in a trough (sp it doesn't quite look right) beside the wheel well inside the bed or under the bed along frame rails (only viable for those who single out the rear of their trucks like I have) or above the frame rails and beside to the outside of a 3 inch wood runner between bed and frame. The last one is the best for a nice bed. A M211 would have it easier I think.[/FONT]

gentrysgarage

To paraphrase and add to what my hero Big Daddy Roth says when the pile gets yeah big its time to start building and not to stop till the pile is gone, then build the pile again, Rinse, Cycle Repeat! The PILE is ALLLLIIIIIVVVVVVEEEEE LOL! Got most if not all of the steel
Parts Pile 5.1.19.jpg
PS can you tell I goot HADD? LOL!!!!

Last edited:

gentrysgarage

5.8.19 Update.

Was super busy this weekend with a fruitless Swap Meet event. I packed the 1992 Dodge 3/4 ton long bed extended cab loaded to over the brim in the bed and cab of British preunit motorcycle parts.But Monday I got some cool tools
Pre Tools layout
IMG_2324.jpg
It wasn't laid out as nice after this weekend with all the motorcycle parts, but after the new tools arrived:
IMG_2328.jpg

Now a question for the mechanical engineers, I think I am going to have the 5/16 plate for the mast head cut at a water jetting outfit. I am planning on drilling two holes in each sleeve the boom poles slip into the top most is a straight 3/4 hole and will use a bolt the bottom hole will be on an arc. The reason being that initial calculation of the triangle with the booms extended (20 feet long'ish) the angle is 9.56*. the booms shortened ((12 feet'ish) the angle is 15.97, not much difference. What do you guys say? Thanks!

gentrysgarage

5.11.19 Update

Todays update 5.11.19:View attachment 1701445Does not have the bolts holes and slits for the lower holes yet, but otherwise finalized design.
IMG_2330.jpg

And it seems (at least from the other forums I am on people are interested in my thought process so here is a pic of a couple of pages in my notebook showing the thought process of how I got from point A to point B. Also note that there are notes as to the vertical plates, but those pictured are NOT the final design!
View attachment 1701446
IMG_2331.jpg

gentrysgarage

5.11.19 Update 2

​OK the width measurements went up a 1/2" to accommodate the upper snatch block and I got the Vertical pieces designed will dimension and darken tomorrow but here it is!
IMG_2337.jpg

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have to admit....I'm lost. Where is the winch located?

gentrysgarage

Hi Toby, the winch will be located between the frame rails underneath the still missing bed. The reason being is I want to have full use of the bed when not lifting...and not to "lift anything more than the booms and masthead when I need to raise something heavy, so everything will be hidden when not in use...thus the "trapdoor" part.
On other notes, I might not have to widen the center of the masthead, I think I was getting myself confused, I wish to put the masthead on a diet, but might not be able to and thus I guess this isn't the final design....but close to the final revision. Any MEs out there can suggest some "speed holes" LOL! Lastly in the crude drawing of the masthead I think I had planned on 1/4" plate, I have upped it and the boom mount plate to 5/16" Plate.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks