• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front springs needed, opinions on snow plow springs

rcamacho

Curious how these ride. Given the spring rate difference I would expect a brutal ride unloaded and little flex offroad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Listing Ebay auctions is against TOS. Please remove the listing ASAP or one of the site administrators my penalize you.

Good luck with your search for springs

Wire Fox

Here's a compliant source for what you're asking about: https://www.hummerpartsguy.com/SPRING-FRONT-1728LB-SNOW-PLOW_p_123.html

That said, I haven't done much work with springs, but definitely can tell you that higher spring rate would likely be miserable and actually probably cause issues if your run them unladen most times. They're literally setup for a vehicle twice as heavy as a standard M998. I feel like RetiredWarHorses has done a lot of work with different spring setups on HMMWVs, so he'd likely be a good commentor on this subject. I know he's commented before on what shocks & springs to use for different configurations, including in M1101/M1102 trailers. He's probably familiar enough with these to know if they're a good idea to run for a less-than-dedicated plow truck.

rcamacho

The 998 in question is in four man configuration and will be running 1-4 occupants mostly unloaded. Sounds like these springs are not a suitable choice from a spring rate perspective.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you run a winch, Luverne brush guard, jack rails, x or Supl doors...-2 snow plows are fine.
12338316-1 are normal fronts on light trucks.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
I have the -2's on the front from armysurplus. Super deal on new -2's anywhere. Note it is a BIG step up from stock. (almost double) so plan on a MUCH stiffer off road experience from the mushy, saggy stock ones. You get a bit of lift 1 1/2". As 86humv noted you will want to load up the front end. Needs a bit more pre-hung weight out front, as in plow. I don't think a light to little load and driver plus three are going to do it. So be careful, good price may be a bumpy ride.

More like bang instead of boing on the bumps, CAMO

rcamacho

Ordered a set as they are ridiculously inexpensive compared to other options. Ill deal with the ride until I have time and funds to look at other options.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
That's the way of HUMMWV parts. As stated, YES there are cheap or way cheaper than others. They are the real deal, and NOS. My experience and two cents worth, if you want it to ride like a truck on solid tires, these are the one's. Put them front and rear for a cheap fix for old saggy, worn springs. Run a little lower air pressure (not 30psi) and stay to the highway.

My feeling having looked at all the variables and many spring options... the HUMMWV is not going to be the best in both on / off road situations. If it's a parade truck, take it to work now and then, out to Denny's for some grits, won't really matter. It will be OK, like a old truck on the highway stiff and taller. Off road and no load with any spring setup... bang and bounce like wooden wheels.

If you look at all the various military Hummve models, they were built to carry loads and heavy to overloaded ones. (my simple terms) Again, along the way modification / upgrades / experimentation. Suspension was no exception. I have seen a listing of all the spring options (google ??) -1. -2 , -5, -6, variable rate, Rod Hall set-up, etc.

Still fun to work out the bugs for hobby / practical use. Still a bumpy ride the kid in all of us love.

HUMMWV... Sometime a deal, most of the time not so much. CAMO

Now where did I park the Toyota TRD ?

Last edited:

rcamacho

Finished installing snow plow spring on RF. Significant difference in ride height. The truck is almost level on the RT side.

Ride quality is not harsh. However the vehicle feels notably more sure footed when cornering and steering input feels better.

Front fender line to ground 41.5”
Rear fender line to ground 42.5”

Snow plow spring LT,
OEM RT no markings or PN#. 0.925” wire diameter. 13” free length. Looks like an extended height spring based upon wire diameter that has fatigued about 1”.

Last edited:

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Make sure you have a lanyard attached to your dentures after you get them all in. Notice the increased cross section of the coils.

They're called springs, but I don't think they are going to boing much on a stock rig. Let us know after the test ride, Tigger

4a045e774a8e423599d69ea9ae683c76--pooh-bear-disney-quotes.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks