• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

REO M275 truck tractor

johan77

hi,
i'm about to buy a tractor truck M275 2 1/2 ton with a non turbo hercules LD-465 multifuel engine, she's in general good condition and i am going to see it first this saturday (so far i have only seen it from pics the garage send me)….It has however a brake issue (the guy who sells it doenst have an idea were the problem might be located) are there any tips were to look for on that vehicles ? besides it should start without problems with the engine cold, are these the models with failure to head gaskets or was it the LDS- type engines ?
thanks

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks super original and in great shape. Engine looks to be factory installed in 1968, really unusual to see, most were replaced during service life. The natural aspirated engine is very reliable and has plenty of power. Leaves a nice smoke trail. Fifth wheel is not original.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks super original and in great shape. Engine looks to be factory installed in 1968, really unusual to see, most were replaced during service life. The natural aspirated engine is very reliable and has plenty of power. Leaves a nice smoke trail. Fifth wheel is not original.
M275A2_AM_General_Tractor_6x6_d.jpgM275A2_AM_General_Tractor_6x6_e 2.jpgM275A2_AM_General_Tractor_6x6_f 3.jpg johan77. Looks like you've found a nice clean original truck. NDT is correct about the fifth wheel not being original. Here are some pictures of the aft end of an M275A2 showing the correct fifth wheel. On your brakes, check your Master Cylinder, then the, Air Pack, Flex Lines, Wheel Cylinders etc. (use Dot 5 brake fluid).

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 763215View attachment 763216View attachment 763217 johan77. Looks like you've found a nice clean original truck. NDT is correct about the fifth wheel not being original. Here are some pictures of the aft end of an M275A2 showing the correct fifth wheel. On your brakes, check your Master Cylinder, then the, Air Pack, Flex Lines, Wheel Cylinders etc. (use Dot 5 brake fluid).
johan77 welcome to SS from Michigan.

Tracer is right that D.O.T. 5 is what the military uses , how ever it doesn't mix with other brake fluids such as D.O.T. 3 , here is a link to a thread on how to tell what's in it.
[h=1]Brake fluid -how to tell which kind you have DOT 3 or DOT 5[/h]A link to the tecnical manuals
[h=1]TM's for the Deuce[/h]Since your new to deuces you should read the -10 Operators Manual

TM9-2320-209-10-1.pdf
TM9-2320-209-10-1 Operation, Installation and Reference data for the M35 series, Operator Level.

And this is a handy pamphlet on inspecting it.

GTA-9-1-1851-8.pdf M35 complete diagram of with descriptions of all components.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
+2, make sure you know what the brake fluid is. One of my trucks that I got back in the GL days had DOT 3 in it and I poured DOT 5 in. Fortunately I noticed it (it's easy to tell because they don't mix) and suctioned out the mixture and put DOT 3 in and was good to go.

Looks like a nice truck.

johan77

johan77 welcome to SS from Michigan.

Tracer is right that D.O.T. 5 is what the military uses , how ever it doesn't mix with other brake fluids such as D.O.T. 3 , here is a link to a thread on how to tell what's in it.
Brake fluid -how to tell which kind you have DOT 3 or DOT 5

A link to the tecnical manuals
TM's for the Deuce

Since your new to deuces you should read the -10 Operators Manual

TM9-2320-209-10-1.pdf
TM9-2320-209-10-1 Operation, Installation and Reference data for the M35 series, Operator Level.

And this is a handy pamphlet on inspecting it.

GTA-9-1-1851-8.pdf M35 complete diagram of with descriptions of all components.
Thanks a lot for the useful info and tips, i will keep it updated how it will end up...

fasttruck

Turn signal switch is missing. Flasher is separate and mounted (usually) on the left inner fender. What is wrong with the brakes ? No air pressure, no pedal, pull to one side ?

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To minimize your smoke trail, find a good used turbo and a NOS retrofit kit. They are available. Every part to install the turbo system including a new engine data plate, comes with it. Worth the cost.

johan77

hi all,
today i went to see and hear the m275, i looked more than 2hrs around the truck, inside, under and outside, i do have a few questions that made me hesitate to make the deal.....
1) it had to start with a trolley external batteries, when turning over the ignit.swtch there should be a buzzer making noise bcse air pressure is low or none, it didn't, also none of the electric powered gauges in the dash seemed to be working, maybe bcse of a broken alternator ???

2) the pressure hose on the compressor was disconnected (when running there was air pushing out of the hole so i assume the pump is working, does the m275 has an air/hydraulic operated brake system or only air?) the brake fluid reservoir is located under the cab and easily accesible via the hatch in front of the driver seat

3) i got it running after 2 times +/- 30sec starting (cold engine) and it runs very nice….no strange noises, not even after a minute it was running idle 500rpm without problems, (the only noise came from the air compressor hole where the airline should be

4) the brake pedal felt very hard (most likely because no air in the system i presume)
there was rust all over the cab sides and underside of the doors (nothing to be worried about, even when you could see the ground from the cab)

5) the handbrake located on the left hand side of the drivers seat was missing the cable, the handbrake is not on each rear wheel but at the end of the gearbox just after the cab in an open drum with brake shoes (i could see the drum but looked like no shoes were in there)

what do you guys think about it ?

Last edited:

johan77

Turn signal switch is missing. Flasher is separate and mounted (usually) on the left inner fender. What is wrong with the brakes ? No air pressure, no pedal, pull to one side ?
no air pressure, the line was disconnected from the compressor, however when running the air was pushing out of the hole (were the line should be) so i think the pump is working, the pedal was also very hard, probably bsce of no air in the system , the buzzer was also not working when (jump)starting the truck and when it was running, none of the electrical gauges or lights was working, i think the alternator is broken…..

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All of those mechanical deficiencies will take a half day to fix. Dead batteries are to be expected.
The only reason I would hesitate is if the rust you describe is actual holes in the metal.

Monkeyboyarmy

Most likely the buzzer is unplugged. It is a noisy little thing. You will see it in the middle of the truck under the dash bolted to the firewall. It has one wire going to it. The electric gauges are powered by one wire also connected to a spider that distributes power to the various gauges. Brakes are air assisted hydraulic so most likely why the pedal is hard. I would reconnect the air supply line to see what happens.

johan77

Most likely the buzzer is unplugged. It is a noisy little thing. You will see it in the middle of the truck under the dash bolted to the firewall. It has one wire going to it. The electric gauges are powered by one wire also connected to a spider that distributes power to the various gauges. Brakes are air assisted hydraulic so most likely why the pedal is hard. I would reconnect the air supply line to see what happens.
can i ask what's your oppinion if it would be worth to buy the truck ? he agrees for 3400 euro incl delivery to my place…...it is a very rare truck in Belgium, never seen a 275 around, all of the tractors are 5 ton or m48 long chassis......and this one is except the fifth wheel in complete and Original condition...no gauges missing, etc....

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks