• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coolant pressure?

Deplorable1

I was looking at my radiator today and noticed a little coolant leaking at the petcock. I opened the hood and went to loosen the radiator cap and heard it start to hiss like it had pressure from just being driven. The truck hasn't been started in a couple weeks. Is it normal for the coolant system to still have pressure this long?

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes. Mine definitely does that. I was paranoid and put an exhaust gas probe on it at the local garage (sniff the "gas" coming out when you open the cap; if it is exhaust gas there is a head gasket leak). Nada. Just coolant pressure. Mine also has not read the TM and dislikes coolant being filled to the filler neck. Whenever I do, she will burp out a quart or so. That's where she likes her coolant to be. Never argue with a lady.

Big Tom

Mine also did that ,I found that the Copper overflow line was clogged, clean it out and never had pressure again after sitting , it doesn’t make sense I know but give it a look and see if it’s clogged

Big Tom

sandcobra164

That's a good sign that the hoses and everything related to the cooling system is healthy and holding tight. You're truck doesn't have an overflow bottle and the cap holds around 7 to 14 psi of air pressure before it allows any overflow out of the radiator. If you fill a deuce radiator to the bottom gasket of the cap it will purge some coolant as it heats up and expands as cattlerepairman pointed out.

Deplorable1

Thanks everyone for your input. I drove it today after adjusting the mirrors I installed awhile back. When I get home tomorrow I will smell check the radiator. Thanks again.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

Jeepsinker

Pressure in a sealed system should always return to atmospheric when temperature reaches ambient. System has no pressure when you put the cap on, so unless volume ( either fluid or gas, i.e. combustion gas) enters the sealed system then it should return to the same pressure ( atmosphere) when it cools. The headgaskets on these engines suck. Some combustion leakage is common, even if it is slight.

CMPPhil

Mud wasps in the vent tube.

Mine also did that ,I found that the Copper overflow line was clogged, clean it out and never had pressure again after sitting , it doesn’t make sense I know but give it a look and see if it’s clogged

Big Tom
Hi

Big Tom

May have hit this one DEAD ON THE HEAD, check the vent tube, I've had mud wasps plug the vent on non-pressure systems to the point it blew a 2 inch top hose off. With a cab forward that fills the cab with steam, collateral everywhere.

Now my service list is running a wire up the vent tube.

Cheers Phil

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks