• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What tool to take apart the fan clutch actuator on 923a2?

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The part you see with the hole in the middle is a hollow cap. It pulls out. Take a sharp pick and grab that raised edge around the outside of the cap. Work one side and then the other back and forth. I had made a tool for pulling these out of some snap ring pliers with modified tips. Take your time with the pick. Don't use that center hole for prying. Some of the surfaces you will run into on the inside are sealing surfaces that don't need to be scarred.

I'd definately eliminate the filter. That looks like a fairly new shutterstat, unless you cleaned it up really well.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Pretty slick. How long have you been running with that? I might look into that at some point.
Since 2017 over 150k miles. One solenoid failure so far. They overnighted me one the next day since 24v isnt common

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Last edited:

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is what I use on my trucks with AC, that way the AC unit can turn the truck fan on.

TexAndy

Well, the good news is that the clutch works. I fired the engine up and just ran shop air to the line going to the clutch and the cutch happily spun right up when I pressed the trigger on the air blower.

The bad news is, the shutterstat appears to be stuck. I replaced that "filter" output elbow with a new, unfiltered elbow and put it back on the truck. No dice. The shutterstat is not letting air pass.

So I'll probably just go with the electric air solenoid option rather than get another shutterstat. Unless there's a good reason not to. These shutterstats seem to be a common failure mode.

TexAndy

So if I understand this correctly I need:

1. A thermal switch that is Normally Open, circuit closes when temp reaches 200F so that it sends a signal to

2. A solenoid air valve with the valve portion Normally Closed that will then open when the solenoid coil is energized, allowing air to go to the clutch

Is that correct?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

1. A thermal switch that is Normally Open, circuit closes when temp reaches 200F so that it sends a signal to

2. A solenoid air valve with the valve portion Normally Closed that will then open when the solenoid coil is energized, allowing air to go to the clutch

Is that correct?
Normally closed is for a fan that does not take air to engage it. Taking air away from it allows the fan to come on. Meaning the solenoid is always energized and when it hits its temp the circuit in the thermal is closed and the solenoid is deactivate and the fan clutch comes on.

TexAndy

Normally closed is for a fan that does not take air to engage it. Taking air away from it allows the fan to come on. Meaning the solenoid is always energized and when it hits its temp the circuit in the thermal is closed and the solenoid is deactivate and the fan clutch comes on.
Do you have a part number for the solenoid valve you bought?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I sent it to your PM. It was on Ebay. They only had 1 left

Horton 993294 on Ebay. Or search Horton 24v. It did have the thermal switch with it. They are another 60 or so on Ebay. Just figure out what temp you want

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Looks like that horton solenoid valve can be run as normally open or normally closed, depending on which input port you choose for the air.
The solenoid works either way. The thermal switch is what does the control. they are listed as NO or NC

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Is that correct?
Sounds right.

I found an ebay deal that I couldn’t pass up on a Horton 993655, 205F on, 198F off. I also found a cheap ALLENAIR 3CBX8B-Y Solenoid Valve 24V-DC 1/8IN NPT D622649.
I still haven’t installed them yet tough to verify operation...

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to beat my shutterstat upside down on a block of wood to get the piston out. If your seal is still in good shape, clean everything up good, your paintball gun oil should work, but as said go very light with it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks