• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M939A2/MT-654CR Air to air cooler

Steelreaper80

I was wondering if anyone has upgraded the transmission cooler on these trucks. What would you recommend? Cranking the power up this year and will be around a consistent 50,000 lbs plus. Any recommended parts, pics would be appreciated. I am trying not to fry the Allison. I kind of like it......

Lukes_deuce

Your going to need a big cooler with a fan. I bet Simp sent you a good idea, as he has been there and done it. Just remember the EGT wills get hot when you turn up the fuel, then add in a lot of weight and see them sky rocket.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 931A2 has been a workhorse for me; I turned up the fuel just a little bit, and increased the airflow (the air filter with the wire cage around it) which made a HUGE difference in reducing EGTs. I flushed the trans oil out and after complete filter changes filled it with Dexron III. It pulled a 53K-lb load up the Tehachapi grade in August heat with no issues; speed was reduced to 1st gear up one stretch but there were no overheating issues with anything (I keep a close eye on EGTs, as well as engine & trans temps).

My heaviest load was 58K-lbs between NV & southern Utah; this truck has made several dozen trips loaded up the mountain passes to our property in southern UT, where it currently resides. The first trip was when I discovered that the fan clutch wasn't engaging....but after that was fixed, I never had another issue with this truck. It's pulled & hauled reliably, even with a broken low-range gear in the transfer case (to be fixed soon).

Just with the minor tinkering I've done to the 6CTA motor, I've really livened it up & gotten a lot more pep out of it, making the truck a real workhorse. What Wes did with the MRAP radiator/cooler combo is even more useful; if I keep my 931A2 I'll do this to lower the EGTs even more and make it even more responsive over the long term.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks