• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Basic HMMWV tool bag

Nwappleby

Guys

what would a "Road" tool bag looks like? I want to gather up the basics so i am covered in the event of..........well anything.

Thanks

Wire Fox

Guys

what would a "Road" tool bag looks like? I want to gather up the basics so i am covered in the event of..........well anything.

Thanks
You can really do a lot with the standard tool kit. Flat and Phillips screwdriver, adjustable crescent wrench, slip-jaw pliers, and your tire change tools (lug wrench and jack). Fuel spout and fuel can is nice, too.

I've overhauled the coolant system roadside, adjusted mirrors, tweaked electrical components, tightened up rattling parts, and all kinds of things with just those limited tools.

Some nice additional things to carry work be a multimeter (check for poor connections or malfunctioning electronics), a copy of the TM in a waterproof bag, a modified fuel cap on you can pressurize the fuel tank if you lose fuel prime, spare band clamps and RTV, repair tape, zip ties, and your favorite variety of emergency electrical connectors to splice in wire of you really mess something up.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

911joeblow

When we go deep in the sticks we have all the above plus a set of three axles with tools to replace, all the belts, air compressor, good radio, emergency camping equipment, standard pioneer tool kit, hose sealer, water, diesel etc...

Wire Fox

Great idea, have an example of one, photo or link?

Thanks!
The idea's not original. This fella in this post chose to modify his fuel cap that's always in-place: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...l-on-a-HMMWV&p=2089635&viewfull=1#post2089635

(Post 26 a few posts down shows it installed)

Same method here, except that I use a 3" pipe test plug. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-3-in-Gripper-Plastic-Mechanical-Test-Plug-33402/100168770

Drill and install in a shraeder valve and you suddenly have a way to put pressure into the tank after refueling. It shouldn't be bad enough to need this even if you run out of fuel (venting the fuel filter should be enough), but just in case, it may not be bad to have one of these alongside a small pump so the fuel is led to fill the fuel lines.

riderdan

In the under-seat storage in the rear, I have a pretty complete mechanics tool set, including wrenches and sockets, various sizes of screw and nut drivers, three kinds of tape (duct, electrical, and metalized), pliers, electrical components (packard connectors, etc), and assorted spares (lamps, belts, etc). I also have a small handful of nuts/bolts/screws. A couple of hose clamps round out the kit. This is all stuffed into a waterproof roll bag with desiccant, since it gets wet back there. The first aid kit and fire extinguisher that go with the truck are also installed--though I admit to beefing up the first aid kit.

Also on the truck I have a set of pioneer tools, towing straps and shackles, chain, a jack, lug nut wrench, and so forth in case I get stuck or a flat.

On my list are a roboimpact and 24v air compressor. But that's for later.

DREDnot

You can really do a lot with the standard tool kit.
Has anyone else noticed that a lot of the nut on bolt fasteners are sized so that you don't need two wrenches the same size?

Like a 3/4 nut with an 11/16 bolt head.

I like the thinking behind that.

fasttruck

Reference to post 6: this supposes you have access to compressed air. Big trucks have air brakes so you can tap into the brake system to pressurize the fuel tank and push the fuel up to the engine. Humvees have no air brakes so be guided accordingly.

oboyjohn

I have seen people do miracles with a hammer, screwdrivers, pliers, tie wraps, and gun tape. But at the opposite end of the spectrum, some out there could not replace a tire with the entire contents of the Sears tool catalogue. It all depends what you are comfortable doing yourself. I would suggest getting your self a military tool bag or wrap and talk with others to see what they carry with them. This will give you a basic idea of what to carry. Have fun!

Wire Fox

Yea, metric and standard Too... SAE, USA, the wrong one I seem to grab first. CAMO
Yep. At this point I should just pick up a wrench and put it immediately back, because whatever I grab first isn't going to be what I need.
On the HMMWV, a pretty good rule of thumb for me to follow has been: Does this component thread into the engine, transmission, or transfercase? If yes, it's almost certainly metric. Almost everything else on the HMMWV is SAE. The gray area is going to be on modification/accessory installation kits (usually still SAE), and anything that attaches the driveline to the chassis (also usually SAE). I'm sure you can all find specific examples where this doesn't work, but for the most part, I've found it true.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks