• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1028 duallies -what were they used for

319cssb

I know some where used as comm shelter carriers in the Air force. Is that what they were used in the Army as well? Do you know what they were used for and by which units?

Last edited:

sandcobra164

Mine is not a dually M1028 but it previously sat in a dehumidified cave in Norway with a Fire Suppression Unit mounted in the bed for about 22 years. It's one of 3 that sat ready to be used as an Airfield Fire Rescue truck in Norway and got sent home to the US.

Attachments

319cssb

Mine is not a dually M1028 but it previously sat in a dehumidified cave in Norway with a Fire Suppression Unit mounted in the bed for about 22 years. It's one of 3 that sat ready to be used as an Airfield Fire Rescue truck in Norway and got sent home to the US.
Oh I remember reading about that truck a couple of years back... cool , cool!

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A lot.
Everything from Air Traffic Control to MPs to Artillery to ???
You would need a time machine to know them all.

That’s why rarely do you see two shelters the same.
Every unit had their own special requirements for them.

319cssb

is there a way by looking up the serial # of what unit a truck came from? The truck has been painted over twice and I'm sure I won't be able to dig up the bumper markings.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
is there a way by looking up the serial # of what unit a truck came from? The truck has been painted over twice and I'm sure I won't be able to dig up the bumper markings.
Never know until you try. Get the da sander and time for some archeological research. That is your only hope to figure out prior unit assignments.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will be lucky to know the last unit the truck was assigned to if you can read the bumper numbers.
Some guys were very lucky and had some paperwork inside the truck when they recovered it.
Usually some maintenance records.
You have extremely rare examples where a truck sat in a cave it’s entire life so it’s easy to know the life history.

You will never know the entire history 99.9% of the time.
The Military purged all of the vehicle records when it was sent to surplus.

319cssb

Ok so what I found out is that my truck had quite the history during desert shield. It was painted in the MERDC desert camo and came from JCSE. Of course, i can't find out jack, due to the nature of the unit (OPSEC).
JCSE (Joint Communication Support Element) is stationed at mc dill, so it made sense that my truck came from the tampa area.

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a pic of several CUCVs with other vehicles.
It’s impossible to determine if one of those is the one you own.

319cssb

Thanks for the comment, tinstar. That detail almost slipped me. But then again I didnt say thats the one. Its only what I heard from a service member.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh and look what I found. An actually photo of it. Check out the dually to the left
Sounds like your saying that’s the one to me.
The info that someone told you that was it would have been helpful.

Too bad they didn’t have up close pics showing proof it’s your truck.
That would be really cool.

M1078MAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Without question, does the asset/unit have a data plate, should be 86k____.

Yes the units had all sorts of uses. From mentioned previous to tcs/acs to airfield ops sat com/wideband, ces,. pm me the reg number, might have you a lil history if you know that is where it may have came from.

additionally, it may have started its life as a srw, i cant tell how many we converted to drw via nsn kit

Last edited:

319cssb

Without question, does the asset/unit have a data plate, should be 86k____.

Yes the units had all sorts of uses. From mentioned previous to tcs/acs to airfield ops sat com/wideband, ces,. pm me the reg number, might have you a lil history if you know that is where it may have came from.

additionally, it may have started its life as a srw, i cant tell how many we converted to drw via nsn kit
M1078Man did you see my recent posts? The truck was used in desert shield by JCSE

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks