• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jeepsinker's M35A2 6BT Cummins swap ( pics and videos)

Jeepsinker

Yep nice up grade and yep looking good. Real power steering?
No power steering yet, but I have made provisions for it. The type E compressor I've installed came with an industrial power steering pump mated to the rear of it. I can't afford to do power steering right now, so I made a block off plate ( actually Larry made it) and I put the pump on the shelf until I'm ready for it. When I do install power steering I'll also install a hydromax brake system.

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been following the build on Facebook and Youtube, great work. Looking forward to seeing the finished project.

Jeepsinker

More pictures. Feel free to ask questions either here or in the comments on my videos. Thanks to all who have subscribed!

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good job, Garrett. Everything looking nice and clean!

I see you did change that front crossmember to the earlier, M35A1-style. Better so!

Also interesting: that particular oil pan model seems to fit perfectly for this application. Certainly makes it all much easier.
If it's no secret, post its part number and where to find such, for our future 6BT swappers.

Jeepsinker

Good job, Garrett. Everything looking nice and clean!

I see you did change that front crossmember to the earlier, M35A1-style. Better so!

Also interesting: that particular oil pan model seems to fit perfectly for this application. Certainly makes it all much easier.
If it's no secret, post its part number and where to find such, for our future 6BT swappers.
I'll certainly post it for you all. It is stamped in the bottom of the pan in very large font.

Yes I was lucky to have the older crossmember in a frame section beside the shop. I made attempts to fabricate some kind of adapter for the later crossmember but it was awkward, imperfect, and the farther forward placement put too much leverage on it. The older crossmember fit the application perfectly since it moved the weight distribution point back toward the engine by several inches. I can't remember exactly how far, maybe 6-8". I'd have to go back and review some of my videos.

Also noteworthy about this particular oil pan; it looks smaller than a typical Dodge oil pan, yet it actually increased the capacity of the engine from ~3 gallons to 4, 4.5 gallons including the filter. I believe this is because the slope from front to back is more pronounced while the same area on a typical 6BT pan is flat.

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also noteworthy about this particular oil pan; it looks smaller than a typical Dodge oil pan, yet it actually increased the capacity of the engine from ~3 gallons to 4, 4.5 gallons including the filter. I believe this is because the slope from front to back is more pronounced while the same area on a typical 6BT pan is flat.
I remember from when I put the 318 in my M37 (15+ years ago) what a pain it was to find the right oil pan. This type of info is much appreciated!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very cool, subscribed to your channel!

Dodge oil pans were/are less capacity, this is so it fits in the truck, glad you got a non Chrysler one. Also, did you build the engine and did what it came out of have an auto trans? The reason for asking is that with an auto trans behind it and using an oil to water cooler on it, like in a lower radiator hose, there is a plug installed in the block that shunts coolant flow through the lower hose when the stat is closed, this is to make it so the cooler has a positive flow around it when the stat is closed. If it is there, you can have a very slow warm up condition. It is located in one of the ports below the stat, behind the alternator bkt. in the block.

Your fan is gonna turn very fast!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Somewhere I read the compressor was an E type. If you put an air dryer on it you need to put an E type compatible one on or the compressor will turn into a giant oil pump in short order.

Jeepsinker

Yes it came out of a 1994 Ford medium duty f700 or F800 truck with an Allison behind it, but it didn't have an oil to water cooler. There was a second temperature sensor in the place you were talking about.

I'm installing an old Haldex pure air plus dryer off an M923. Should work fine since the 939a2 series had the same compressor and dryer.

And no I didn't build it. It is a low mileage engine. I did reseal it all except for the timing case to block gasket and the headgasket.

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

Yeah, well I made a costly mistake today that makes me question my intelligence. Had the radiator mocked up in front of the engine and a friend showed up. Tried to show him that it runs now and wasn't thinking. Destroyed my brand new radiator and my fan. Super pissed at myself. And my beer fridge died, and my stereo rear outputs went out. All in the same day. Bad day.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, s**tt happens easily, when we get distracted. Blame it on your friend...:p
(Something to add to your signature, maybe? Like "... & destroy radiators"...):)

Thank God it wasn't your arm or leg!
Take care!

oboyjohn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Things (good or bad) always happen in threes. Rad and fan, beer fridge, and stereo. Your three are done, so now on is clear sailing (should). By the way, great build and videos!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks