• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jeepsinker's M35A2 6BT Cummins swap ( pics and videos)

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think if you just hard mounted it to the radiator you"ll be fine. I have done alot of repowers doing this and they were fine. The radiator isolators are enough and you want the complete package to move as one unit.

gentrysgarage

I think if you just hard mounted it to the radiator you"ll be fine. I have done alot of repowers doing this and they were fine. The radiator isolators are enough and you want the complete package to move as one unit.
This is the route I am going, I got the radiator and intercooler out of the same UPS truck and the intercooler bolts to the radiator...one of my few "LUUUCCCKKKKYYYYYEEEEE" moments on my truck.

Jeepsinker

Some pictures of progress from the last couple days. These may be spoilers for any of you who are subscribed to my YouTube channel. Still have to make the upper brackets and slot the hole on the lower driver side mount pad. The intercooler isn't sitting square to the radiator and it placed the core uncomfortably close to a radiator mount bolt head.

Attachments

Jeepsinker

More progress pictures for you guys. Cooling stack is complete now. Gauge cluster restored. Air dryer mounted and plumbed, air tanks redone. Oh, and my shop mascot/ evening beer drinking compadre.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

How do you connect the tach?
I know that , Stewart Warner makes a matching electronic tach...
I will be reusing the existing tachometer. The tachometer drive assembly from the 8.3L Cummins in the 939A2 series truck will install directly onto the 5.9L in the same fashion. I will need a shorter cable though I think.

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does the 5 speed Eaton you mentioned earlier bolt up to a Multifuel? I haven't been able to locate a Waterloo Overdrive kit, that Eaton sounds like a good substitute.

Jeepsinker

If i remember correct, one turns clockwise, the other counterclockwise. I mean the rotationd of the tachdrive...multiflop vs. Cummins
No, you are thinking of the speedometer adapter vs. tachometer drive. All the cable driven M series tachometer drives must rotate the same direction regardless of the engine application since they all utilize the same tachometer.

Jeepsinker

Does the 5 speed Eaton you mentioned earlier bolt up to a Multifuel? I haven't been able to locate a Waterloo Overdrive kit, that Eaton sounds like a good substitute.
Yes, the Eaton TO-11605A is available with an SAE3 bellhousing which would bolt to the multifuel adapter ring, however the only ones I've seen are much longer than the Spicer bellhousing, which may place the transmission significantly farther rearward. I have not looked into all applicable options as of yet.

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will be reusing the existing tachometer. The tachometer drive assembly from the 8.3L Cummins in the 939A2 series truck will install directly onto the 5.9L in the same fashion. I will need a shorter cable though I think.
The gear cover adapter and the angle drive adapter do cross over directly, but the nut on the MW pump from a 939A2 is a different size than the P7100 P-pump. You'll need PN 3917333 for the drive coupling to fit a P-pump.

I've been following this thread and your youtube channel very closely because I'm currently building a similar engine to do a 5.9 conversion. Thanks for all the knowledge you've provided! You've done a lot of quality work that will save time and money for the rest of us!

Jeepsinker

Well... I got half a door sanded and painted since my last post. Waiting on parts.
Was being watched by a toad in a tube at one point. He's my shop buddy.

Then spent most of today diagnosing a coolant boilover issue on a jeep Cherokee. Turned out it was just a bad cap thankfully.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks