• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1998 M1078 A0 Wiring nightmare?

coachgeo

They are all md3070 trans. ....
Mine isn't. It's an sp3070. If the wiki is wrong someone edit it where it states the MD3070 came about with the A1's.

Point only shooting at is tranny's and the control devices along with the engines sorta evolved together.... so if it was an A1 era tranny as suggested by the wiki then it might as well have had the wtech III that evolved at about same time.... unless the III's did not at all get used with the non computerized engines......

Last edited:

DREDnot

Ive gone blind trying to find the fuel solenoid on the wiring diagram. Which of these terminals needs the 24v jumper to energize it?

DSCN9272.jpg

Ronmar

Its located at H57 on the schematic. TL29 is ground(has wires numbered 3015 and 3017 attached), TL28 is the power input(has wires 1441 and 54 attached to it). which normally receives 24V from relay K19 and ultimately CB79... You should be able to confirm ground with an ohmmeter once you break the circuit/lift the leads on one side of the solenoid...

DREDnot

Its located at H57 on the schematic. TL29 is ground(has wires numbered 3015 and 3017 attached), TL28 is the power input(has wires 1441 and 54 attached to it). which normally receives 24V from relay K19 and ultimately CB79... You should be able to confirm ground with an ohmmeter once you break the circuit/lift the leads on one side of the solenoid...
Thanks for this. I gotta reprint my wiring diagram bigger so I can read it and find those.

DREDnot

Got a chance yesterday to get the motor fired up. Tried jumping the fuel solenoid but it didn't start. Shot some ether into the filter housing and it fired right up. So, we know the engine at least starts. Now I need to figure out how to get the main harness out from behind the heater assy. so I can see if I can conceivably re-solder the cut wires.

Ronmar

Got a chance yesterday to get the motor fired up. Tried jumping the fuel solenoid but it didn't start. Shot some ether into the filter housing and it fired right up. So, we know the engine at least starts. Now I need to figure out how to get the main harness out from behind the heater assy. so I can see if I can conceivably re-solder the cut wires.
So did the solenoid go clunk when you jumped it? Did you get fuel all the way thru the system like I described back in post #33? If so, it should have started if the lift pump in the governor is pumping fuel while cranking. You can see this with that plug on top of the secondary filter loosened while cranking...

Last edited:

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you're really intent on trying to fix the harness, pull the heater. Its easy and will make a lot more room to work.

DREDnot

So did the solenoid go clunk when you jumped it? Did you get fuel all the way thru the system like I described back in post #33? If so, it should have started if the lift pump in the governor is pumping fuel while cranking. You can see this with that plug on top of the secondary filter loosened while cranking...
The solenoid didnt make any noise. But the primer pump did move fuel.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

DREDnot

Im gonna remove the wires and clean the terminals an jump straight to ground and 24v. Ive fashioned a couple HD jumper wires that I was lacking the first try.

Ive studied the Heater removal chore and plan to move that to get at removing the main wire bundle.

DSCN9320.jpg

DSCN9367.jpg

DREDnot

Update....got the PDP and its harness removed...Like gutting a water buffalo.

DSCN9590.jpg

Other than the dash cut, The only other cut was this plug in the passenger footwell.

DSCN9606.jpg

Donor plug

DSCN9603.jpg
DSCN9604.jpg

I removed the wires and cleaned the fuel solenoid contacts and with a clean jump to 24V, got a good clunk out of it...so that's good.

DREDnot

Preparing the battle space and got to wondering what material the wire is??? Stainless? Seems unusually rigid

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The wire is pretty stiff. You can try to solder and heat shrink each one. Not alot of slack in the dash to begin with though. You might try to find some similar wire to add in and stagger the repairs so you dont have them all bunched at one spot.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks