• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1998 M1078 A0 Wiring nightmare?

DREDnot

You might try to find some similar wire to add in and stagger the repairs so you dont have them all bunched at one spot.
I was considering that. I also considered using a STE/ICE connector to splice them...and ease re-installation.

The plan Im gonna go with first is to get some uninsulated thin butt connectors to hold alignment while I tease on the perfect amount of solder and a neat fill/sheath shrink tube covering for minimum added bulk there.

DREDnot

Some of the places the harness snakes thru are tight. Just make sure the big bunch wont interfere
Yeah, no kidding. I pried that plate under the wiper motor up to get it through and will reposition the wiper arms for more clearance to replace the harness. Im gonna have to dig deep to bring my soldering A-game so I don't end up with a travesty of a bundle.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Plenty of replacement setups out there. Make your life easier. I would not attempt to solder that mess back together unless absolutely necessary.

DREDnot

well got most of the bundle traced and reconnected.

DSCN9811.jpg

1 straggler and the PX33 connector that was decapitated left to do.

DSCN9815.jpg

Now I need to find a VIM and trans harnesses for my WTEC2

DSCN9796.jpg[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Before you go any further. I would get the serial off the transmission, call allison and verify what gen control it is. 1998s were usually wtec3. So your wtec2 controller may not work.

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everyone else has well said! I'll just send my empathy and say stinks to be you. The only encouragement I can offer is if this is your vocation there is lots of money to be made.

DREDnot

verify what gen control it is. 1998s were usually wtec3.
I'm going to check with them tomorrow but all the original wiring I've found in place seem to jive with it being a WTEC II. The truck was built 02/98.

I think I need all of this...

29509959.jpg

And the correct PX33 pigtail that fits it to splice into the harness.

DSCN9815.jpg

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have a wtec2 trans harness to cab pass thru like in the pic with the vim. Dont have any vims right now. Maybe mv555 does. Thats actually my pic.

ramdough

I have a wtec2 trans harness to cab pass thru like in the pic with the vim. Dont have any vims right now. Maybe mv555 does. Thats actually my pic.
Your pictures are always so easy to identify.....

Must be the background or lighting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DREDnot

I pulled out the trans harness today. Its part number is 29509959 (WTEC2?)
Heres what I have in total. Other than the main harness being from this truck, all the rest came from a spares pile purchase.

DSCN9867harness.jpg

I seem to be missing the VIM?

And that should hook to the harness at my demilled PX33 connector...Correct?

DSCN9871.jpg

DSCN9872.jpg

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I had sold the one pictured. I do have another harness though. Strange that your 98 is wtec2. Anything can happen though. I believe the tm states the serial number where production changed to the next gen.

DREDnot

Just went through phone calls with Allison, Stewart&Stevenson, and all the allison affiliated truck service centers near me(12) and nobody knows if my trans is WTEC2 or WTEC3. Everybody pointed back at Stewart&Stevenson and they said they aren't in the truck business anymore and he tried but failed to gain access to any of that old info.

All my spidey senses tell me that this is a WTEC2 unit. My best clues are the 02/98 M-date and the main stump of the trans harness has the 29509959 part number.

DSCN9351.jpg

DREDnot

There is a serial number matrix in the TM I believe. I don’t remember which one and don’t have my laptop with me on this trip.
Thanks for this info...I found it. It is at the tail end of the 20-5 TM.
My serial falls in the TID1 range.

Im going to study up on this.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks