• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ship my m1078 home or drive it home? Yermo to San Jose in CA!

FloridaAKM

Have you any history on said LMTV, maintenance records, fluid levels, battery condition, any leaks? If you drive it, can you afford the tow bill if she breaks down or has a flat or two? Shipping is a wise method as you can fix any problems from the comfort of your driveway & not the side of the road looking @ an endless line of speeding traffic. YMMV!

SausageGuy

If you are just picking up for first time. I would not plan on driving it unless it was running on auction video. Mine was missing parts I didn't realize from auction photos.
Then if you have to pay a wrecker to get you off side of road its a wash. About the same cost as shipping.

St1300pa

thanks! I thought all about that but I was so excited to pick em” up myself then drive it home . I’m thinking shipping is till my choice. Been looking around for someone or shipping company can bring em” home , so far no luck! Any suggestions for shipping companies? Greatly Appreciated. By the way im still waiting for EUC to be cleared! No pick up date yet.

DREDnot

Between the batteries always needing a slave start, and the tires, I would not drive it.

20190429_125509.jpg

20190429_125514.jpg

20190426_081150.jpg

Last edited:

M1078MAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Theres a great network of picker uppers on ss. Post in transport and you should get a hit. I paid just a bit more for transport, but in the end it went to some outstanding ss members instead of some transport company.. Got to meet multiple people from ss, go to several places. eventually you will get your baby home.

My plan is to help the next guy, if he needs something picked up. Network and brotherhood, i am sure this is the underline of ss.

Blairg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ship it. For the piece of mind to get it to your house and look at it rather then trying to figure out whats wrong with along side the road.

Blair

coachgeo

I preach the ship it..... but myself do the drive it lol. You fastly find the weak spots that way and learn a ton. Granted you get frustrated..... go little; ok a lot, more broke..... but the big problems show up sooner and you can get them fixed and get on with life. Been there broke that lol. Granted I usually leave it at a shop near where it broke something big to save $$$ with the arrangement they fix on slow days. Has worked pretty good on two different rigs so far over last 20yrs (Unimog and LMTV).

Now if it will stop raining...... am so behind getting the mods done here in OH due to it raining or snowing on the only freaking day a week I can work on her.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So does California give trip permits without a title ?
Unless it changed you can't get the SF-97 or title from GP until after you pick it up. I would guess the state would hit the jackpot if you get stopped.
Not to mention giving the hobby a black eye.

St1300pa

Thank you guys! I guess ship it is my best option! Is it true “ green machine disease “ never cures? I got my fist infected back 2014 cured it with “m998” pill. Now my infection need heavy dose “m11078” pill! Oh boys!

FloridaAKM

It is very addictive, can be expensive, but is a lot of fun & you get to meet some great people in the hobby that like to help. Just like on this forum.

Pictures, we love pictures to critique your new gal. Don't forget to post some.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks