• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ArmoredCTP's M1081 Restoration Thread

ArmoredCTP

Hey everyone, (relatively) long time lurker here! I've been doing lots of work to my truck as of late, and since today marked it's first test drive since I've owned it, I realized that a restoration thread is probably in order. :wink: I bought my M1081 for $3900 back in mid-November, but it finally arrived in late February. I bought it as a non-runner, but the majority of the mechanical issues related to absolutely horrible treatment by the Motorpool. Here's a quick run-down on what has been mechanically repaired so far:

-Batteries were DOA, bad enough that none of the dash lights lit up, and the low air alarm only made enough noise that you could faintly hear it from a couple inches away. A few nights on the charger made all the difference.

-Cooling fan clutch was partially disassembled with parts missing, and was also pretty gummed up (likely the reason it was taken apart). Missing parts were replaced, and clutch was rebuilt.

-Major issues with the air system (system wouldn't build past 30 psi, parking brakes wouldn't engage, service brakes didn't work, and the whole system leaked down to nothing within a few minutes). Every single two-way check valve on the entire truck (probably 7 or 8) had a blown-out rubber baffle inside, and several one-way check valves were bad. All were replaced. Someone in the Motorpool must have been trying to find the issues caused by those valves, because multiple air lines near the front gladhands had been removed, and it seems that someone guessed where they should go when putting everything back together after giving up. :roll: That was all sorted out.

-Air/Hydraulic pump was missing, and a newly refurbished one was installed.

-Power steering was choppy at best. Discovered that the reservoir was empty. Filled it, and now it works flawlessly.

I took out out today for it's first very short test drive, and it seems to drive far better and more comfortably than I expected.

My plan is to restore this truck back to as-assigned condition, with the exception of adding an M66 gun ring and gunner's platform. I don't want to take shortcuts with this one...I want it to present well at car shows, in parades, etc. I really wanted an M1081 because of the unique airdrop history. They're somewhat rare, and the few that exist are usually in such poor condition that they end up being parted out. I'm hoping mine winds up being one of the nicest looking ones out there, but I have a long way to go. Wish me luck! :grin:

How it looked 3 months ago, on the day it arrived:

Attachments

Last edited:

ArmoredCTP

Congrats...... job well done
Thanks!
======================

Here's how it looks as of today. The past couple months have mostly consisted of dent-pulling and general bodywork, mostly in the cab corners and doors, where the doors were left open one too many times while the cab was being lifted. The doors actually crushed the cab corners to create a concave 'V', and the driver's side corner has since been pulled and restored to it's original shape. The driver's door is also just about finished. Someone gave a wholehearted attempt trying to pull out the passenger side corner in the past, but it still looks pretty bad.

I parked next to my Dad's M35a3, which is about 95% restored at this point. Yeah, I have a ways to go, don't I?IMG_8512.jpgIMG_8511.jpgIMG_8513.jpgIMG_8514.jpgIMG_8515.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks