• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just a bit excited

OrneryOrr

Hello all! New to the site here. While in the Marines, I became infatuated with the 923's. I'll be 50 at the end of this month so as a 50th birthday present, my wife is going to let my buy one. I've got a guy bringing one to my house on Wednesday for a looksee. '83 M923A2 with the 14.0L engine. I'm looking forward to tapping into the knowledge of you all. Thank you in advance and wish me luck.....I think. lol

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
An 1983 A2? I thought they (that year) were all A0 or A1 with the 250. A2 has the 8.3 turbo version.

Anyway, good luck. I think you will like the 5 ton over a deuce.

Edit....Oops yes...855 (14L)

Last edited:

Monkeyboyarmy

The 250 Cummins is 855 cubic inches which is 14 liter. But yes, most likely an A0 or A1. I don't think you will need luck buying the truck but I will wish you good luck on not buying many more. It's a sickness.

71DeuceAK

Welcome! I vividly recall my first time getting to see/climb around on/ride in one of these. You will be hooked even more than you already are.

When was the last time you sat in/rode in/saw one?

OrneryOrr

I was going by what the ad said. What is the difference between the two? He did say it was a rebuild. Not sure if that makes a difference.Learning as I go.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was going by what the ad said. What is the difference between the two? He did say it was a rebuild. Not sure if that makes a difference.Learning as I go.
'83 and A2 are mutually exclusive. It can't be both.

The difference is the engine and the presence of CTIS. A2's typically bring a premium of $2500-$4000 over a comparable A0 or A1.

'83 trucks were the A0 variant. NH250 and 11.00R20 tires.

My preference is the A0/A1 trucks, but I'm in the minority.

319cssb

A welcome to you and happy birthday. The nhc250 is a neat engine although there are a few things to look out for.

Jeepsinker

Rebuilt means nothing with military surplus vehicles and equipment. Do not be fooled into paying more because of it. I've seen many cases where rebuilt trucks were worse than untouched trucks simply because of poor workmanship. This doesn't necessarily mean that is the case with all rebuilt trucks, but it is noteworthy.

Good luck and have fun. Welcome!

F18hornetM

Welcome to the site from another 55 year old Marine. We had M35s, M813s for the most part when I was in. The very last year we borrowed a couple new M923s. They were awesome. I never saw a Humvee. Fast forward 30 years and I now have 6 different military vehicles. As a reference to what your looking at, My 1984 M931 has 1100x20s, no CTIS and NHC 250 cummins. As someone mentioned, you'll probably end up with more than one. Good luck !!

74M35A2

Congrats on 50. Also took a major event for me to buy one, open heart surgery @ age 39. There are other trucks out there, so don't just jump at the first one. I didn't, and I'm REALLY glad I didn't. The first one I looked at out of state had beautiful paint, so I was ready to put down money, but after the test ride I saw a lot of blow-by puffing out the engine road draft tube of the engine. Enough to where there was a heavy haze/fog in front of the headlamps, smelled badly of burning oil also which accompanied the haze.

Second truck I looked at was mechanically in much better shape, auto trans shifted butter smooth, had seat covering redone, better tire condition, etc....

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats to the disease. Someone that lives 35 miles from me is buying my M931A2 with winch controls and PTO and tank. His first one. Took it for a ride saturday, and of course had to buy it. Also have a M923A2 that is sale pending to another member here, but he's had them..

OrneryOrr

Good luck, I bet you can't wait to be in one again! What reignited your interest in buying one?
My wife and I have been contemplating buying a diesel pickup for pulling the camper plus hauling 5 kayaks, 5 bicycles plus guns and ammunition to attend zombie shoots. I saw a 923 for sale and mentioned to my wife that it would haul everything and then some and that I had wanted one ever since I saw them in the late 80's when I was active duty Marine Corps. Since I turn 50 this month, she said I could buy it. My three boys (14 and two 13 yr. olds) are as excited as I am and want to be picked up from school in it. lol

OrneryOrr

Welcome to the site from another 55 year old Marine. We had M35s, M813s for the most part when I was in. The very last year we borrowed a couple new M923s. They were awesome. I never saw a Humvee. Fast forward 30 years and I now have 6 different military vehicles. As a reference to what your looking at, My 1984 M931 has 1100x20s, no CTIS and NHC 250 cummins. As someone mentioned, you'll probably end up with more than one. Good luck !!
Semper Fi!

Anvilface

Hey, welcome to the site. These folks are great. I dealt with these trucks while in the Corps as well. I was a 3521 and spent more time under them than driving them, short of the LVS they are my favorite trucks. I am now responsible for working on two of these beauties at work, having them ready for first responders during hurricanes.

Have fun and welcome to the sickness. Lol

71DeuceAK

Hey, welcome to the site. These folks are great. I dealt with these trucks while in the Corps as well. I was a 3521 and spent more time under them than driving them, short of the LVS they are my favorite trucks. I am now responsible for working on two of these beauties at work, having them ready for first responders during hurricanes.

Have fun and welcome to the sickness. Lol
I never served but as a civilian enthusiast I'd have to say they are probably one of my favorite vehicles of all time. Something about em.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks