• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to tell if cable is copper or another metal?

Weller

One of my recent trailer purchases had a stray 25 foot section of 3 phase cable tossed on the deck and I'm trying to identify it before putting it to use or selling it.

I cleaned it and found these specs...
CO - 04HOF(4/4)1340 MIL - C - 3432D CAROL CABLE CO WEST

Did some research and came away with...

M3432 Heavy Duty CO Cable - 600V

1st Letter = Duty:
H: Heavy Duty, rated 600 volts

2nd Letter = Class:
O: Oil-Resistant, Medium Low Temperature (-40°C to 75°C)

3rd Letter = Flexibility:
F: Flexible

Not sure what the 1340 refers to.

I cut back one of the wires to get a better look.

Copper, aluminum, tin plated, silver plated, other?

20190428_091642.jpg 20190505_085816.jpg 20190505_085032.jpg

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have some cables like that and I thought they were tinned copper. I did some good marine grade tinned copper wires when I up dated my boat. Much better corrosion resistant and you don't find the wire corrosion walking through the whole cable.

Last edited:

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tin AND silver plated...4 gauge. Does it have 600v embossed into the jacket or say 600v? Works for single or 3 phase, around 80 amps. Some scrap yards take money off for the plated wire. Is around $4/ft to buy new (not plated). Wire a generator.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea it's a shame it's only 25 feet I have two and mine are 100 feet with plug in ends and one pig tale plug end for the gen side. I will need mine to use the plasma cutter to cut up a crane that is 75 feet away from my power box. I need 50 amps service for my plasma cutter and not looking forward to all the work. Had thought about just renting a big excavator and dig a real big hole. Yea he said 600V.
https://www.galaxywire.com/applications/military-power-cable/

Last edited:

Weller

Thanks for all the replies, would be nice if it was longer but I'll probably use it, always something to be wired up.

Good tip on the copper flame test and good mention on silver as I've had cables and silicone with silver in them before.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks