• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 1-Ton restomod m1009 thread

camarossguy2

This morning I slapped the wheels on, fixed the power steering reservoir, replace wiper motor, installed seats and cleaned the garage. She 95% done!
Still need to:
Install radio, vent window latches, acquire/install rear glass, a/c!, and crossover steering to name a few. But for now, shes ready to drive!

Attachments

camarossguy2

Hey I know those mountains in the background.....! That was taken right outside of Jacksonville Fl right?.......grin.....8)
Haha, yup.

I used to go offroading with a guy who lived in the tijeras. He had a classic fj, and a collection of classic trucks and dump trucks. Looks of good trails out there, definitely less terrain here

camarossguy2

Update for sept 2019

Still cant find a rear glass, I know LMC sells one, but I need all the guts, which add up to more than the cost of the glass. Haven't found a K5 at a junk yard in quite some time.

My truck spring a few leaks now that Im driving it. :(

-Rear pinion seal replaced
-Rear output shaft replaced
-Had to helicoil the adaptor to transmission bolts since the bottom two were stripped.
-Had a fuel leak under the intake. Turned out to be the fuel line was deteriorated. Replaced.
-And one of the oil cooler lines was leaking bad. Got a good used set from hillbilly wizard.

Next Item was the tires. They all vibrated at speed. Im not expecting perfection, but would be nice to shoot for something better.
I have a tire balancer, I spun one and it said i needed 29oz lol Uhhh.
I had good results with the heavy airsoft BBs on my lifted duramax's. I dumped in about 24oz in the first one and tried to spin it, shook like crazy. Turns out all 4 tires were full of black goo. Im not sure if this was maybe old slime? Anyway, the bbs just stuck in one spot on the outside.
So i then have to disassemble all 4 tires and thoroughly clean the inside of the tire. PITA.
I then re-assembled them and spun them again. got them close with wieghts and then poured in about 20oz of the .30g airsoft BBS.
But they now drive smooth!
BTW, they weigh in right at 123# (no runflat inserts or PVC )

Anyone have a 2wd steering box? LMK

Attachments

Awol

Yup, the black goo. My 37s had it also. I threw them on an F350 with balance beads, and experienced death wobble of immense proportions. They all stuck in one spot lol

camarossguy2

[SUB]Air conditioning! Probably more excited for this then I was over a dana 60 or banks turbo lol
The hard part is going to be mounting the compressor. My m1009 has been converted to 12v, But the previous owner put the single alternator on the driver side.
I can try to get a serpentine belt system from a 6.5 l diesel, Fab up a mount for the compressor on the passenger side, or move the alternator.
It's probably going to depend on what parts I can actually find.

Anyone have any of these parts available?
[/SUB]

Attachments

camarossguy2

Couple updates.
The radiator was leaking, so I purchased a new one. I thought i could knock it out in an hour, of course i was wrong lol. As hard as a tired, i bent my oil cooler lines. I ordered a new set from hillbilly wizard.
I also took the time to replace the lower hose and the thermostat.

Attachments

camarossguy2

Next i addressed the ride height and steering.
The truck sits about 1.5" high in the front, so i removed the ORD zero rates. I may install them in the rear instead.
The steering is terrible, I am saving for crossover, however, i found there was another issue. The steering wheel was not straight, I though it was about 40 degree left, but turned out it was 320 degrees right lol. The link off the steering arm was completely threaded in. So when the wheels were straight, the pitman arm was coming of the steering box at like 40 degree angle! After unscrewing it, the pitman arm is now 90 degrees off the steering box, the wheel is straight and the steering is dramatically improved! I'm sure removing the zero rates helped as well. I may kick crossover steering down the road a little bit now

Attachments

camarossguy2

I finally found a rear window as well. it was in poor shape, but i cleaned it will muratic acid, tinted it was 20% on the bench.
I had to rebuild the channel runs, i used adhesive felt i found on amazon. LMC supplied the crank, and regulator, ebay for the felts and scaper.
my 4yr "helped"

Attachments

joshuak

[SUB]Air conditioning! Probably more excited for this then I was over a dana 60 or banks turbo lol
The hard part is going to be mounting the compressor. My m1009 has been converted to 12v, But the previous owner put the single alternator on the driver side.
I can try to get a serpentine belt system from a 6.5 l diesel, Fab up a mount for the compressor on the passenger side, or move the alternator.
It's probably going to depend on what parts I can actually find.

Anyone have any of these parts available?
[/SUB]

I have most, if not all those pieces. You're welcome to them. Coming up the coast anytime soon?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks