• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Will not start - Tons of smoke

darkostoj

Hey guys, hoping I could get some help on diagnosing the problem with my M998.

It was working fine all last summer, but then out of nowhere it didn't want to cold start at all.

the "wait" light is coming on and off like normally when I cycle the key. However, now all I get is a ton of white smoke as the engine is cranking.

The only way I can get it started is spraying some starting fluid to get it going.

Anybody know where I can start looking?

Also, another problem I have....not sure if its related or not. I keep burning out headlamps. I put 2 new sets in and they last about a night before they burn out.

Thanks!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys, hoping I could get some help on diagnosing the problem with my M998.

It was working fine all last summer, but then out of nowhere it didn't want to cold start at all.

the "wait" light is coming on and off like normally when I cycle the key. However, now all I get is a ton of white smoke as the engine is cranking.

The only way I can get it started is spraying some starting fluid to get it going.

Anybody know where I can start looking?

Also, another problem I have....not sure if its related or not. I keep burning out headlamps. I put 2 new sets in and they last about a night before they burn out.

Thanks!
I would say your glow plug are not working ,since glow plugs and ether don't mix . Keep using ether and plan on a motor swap indirect injection and ether don't mix.

darkostoj

I would say your glow plug are not working ,since glow plugs and ether don't mix . Keep using ether and plan on a motor swap indirect injection and ether don't mix.
I agree that ether is not the best, but I am going to have to say it's not as bad as you're making it out. I've been using ether on diesel engines for decades and have never had an issue because of it.

sandcobra164

My buddy comes off harsh but I know what he's trying to tell you. Spraying ether in an engine that uses glowplugs (yours does) or a intake heater do not react well if ether is introduced into the intake tract if even a portion of the system is working. The reason you have smoke but no fire is likely caused by faulty glowplugs. As for your headlights burning out so quickly, you need to trace the ground side of the circuit. The tilt hood is fiberglass on a HMMWV and both sides of the circuit need to be correct, fiberglass doesn't conduct current and with a bad ground circuit you will burn out headlights quickly.

snowtrac nome

Use of starting fluid on your old onan generator or b series cummins in your pickup can be bad for you and your motor. those engines use an intake heater to help cold weather starting. the duce uses a flame heater one should use caution when spraying starting fluid in a duce some one has been trying to start with the flame heater to. all those engines are using enough heat to light off the ether in the intake. on your 6.2 and 6.5 engines you have a pre cup in the head behind the intake valve where combustion starts that pre cup is also where the glow plug is heating. In rare cases I have seen pre cups get blown out by too much starting aid. Ether is a good test or a safe way to start your pre cup engine for an emergency, say to get home, but your glow plug system should be repaired immediately. Un like the big commercial engines that one was never intended to use highly volatile liquids to start.

Wire Fox

Am I the only one thinking that maybe his generator has a bad output, which is cooking the headlights and wrecked his glowplug system? Have you tested what the actual voltage output is while running with a multimeter?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks