• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028A3 new project

m715

I bought the m1028 that is listed in the for sale section here. The pics are in user UCRCCV postings. The truck is not running now it has a host of problems to address. I bought the truck to use as a camper and think it will be a fun project. The known problems are a bad starter and ring gear, likly the lift pump and injector asd well. I have read of the doghead realy modand filter base ect. I love the looks and the storage over the cab, maybe I will have better luck finding help working on this truck than my m35a2.

joshuak

Congratulations on your purchase, hope it works out for you.

If you have the time to post your progress it would be fun to follow along.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I'm assuming this is the truck, from ECR CUCV.
cucv van.jpgcucv van 2.jpg
These fiberglass shelters are very cool, that's the only one I've seen still on a truck. I've seen 3 others but they were removed from the trucks before being sold. 2 of them were sold from Camp Johnson in Colchester, VT probably 6-8 years ago and another was at a surplus dealer in Colchester. I owned 2 of those 3 but never did anything with them. According to ECR CUCV your truck was from VT as well.

m715

That is the truck,not home yet will try to post photos with help. I type two slow says to refresh page. The truck needs a starter and flex plate, then find the cause of no fuel to injectors.

m715

I do plan to use as a camper, love the looks of the truck and the storage above the cab is perfect. I did not know the body was fiberglass, thanks dr evil.

m715

I have been reading the great info posted here and plan to do many of the suggested improvements. The doghead starter relay being first on the list, thanks doghead. Will change out the fuel filter to something better.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a cool truck. I vaguely remember a similar truck coming out of Meade many moons ago, but it was not the exact same shelter. Several also came out without shelters, but with only the angled fenders over the dual rear wheels.

Once you get it home, I'd be curious to see the data plate information and to know if it has a locker in the rear axle or not. My old M1028/A3 came out with a D70 dually rear axle with only a single rear wheel on each side. The rear had no locker and it had a standard pickup bed without dually fenders. I corrected all of those issues with an NOS dually conversion kit, and I should have never sold that truck! :(

m715

I saw the data plates saying it was converted from another model. The rear does have a swaybar. I relly hope it does have a rear locker,thats one reason I bought it. I like to drive offroad and my m35 is to big. This is the perfect size body for what I want.

m715

I got the truck home and had a chance to look it over . I had my daughter take photos of the truck and the tags we hope to post them shortly. I cleared a bunch of scrap lumber from the box and finely got to go inside it.

m715

I was able to partly remove the starter and see the flex plate teeth. I found the starter brace was missing. I was unable to remove the inspection cover, The bolts would not budge, they may have been Loctite. The teeth that I can see don't look bad but I need to turn the engine over.

m715

I am so sore and stiff today from a combation of rain and working under the truck yesterday. I am trying to find someone to help as I really cant do this type of work anymore. I have ordered starter braces, injectors and all rubber fuel and vacuum lines. I still need the in tank sock filter.

m715

I have a nos injection pump head and rotor pn 31816. I have searched and not found info on swapping just the head. I charged the battery and will take them for testing they are a few years old. I also ordered replacement cab corners and rocker panels.

Weller

I am so sore and stiff today from a combation of rain and working under the truck yesterday. I am trying to find someone to help as I really cant do this type of work anymore. I have ordered starter braces, injectors and all rubber fuel and vacuum lines. I still need the in tank sock filter.
I think we've all had that feeling of being stiff and sore. I was working under a tractor in the rain yesterday. I've learned to lay as flat as possible and not lift my neck while under there, regardless of the dirt I may be in. If a bolt is stuck, or I feel I'm getting nowhere, I go do some other task (less physical) and come back to it later. Doesn't always work but it helps my sanity.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks