• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

best way to turn over NHC250 engine by hand?

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will head down to look at a non-running truck and want to turn the engine over by hand to verify it turns freely before I try to jump start it. No idea how long it's been sitting there without a crank so just being careful. What is the best method to do so and what tools do I need to drag down with me?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I will head down to look at a non-running truck and want to turn the engine over by hand to verify it turns freely before I try to jump start it. No idea how long it's been sitting there without a crank so just being careful. What is the best method to do so and what tools do I need to drag down with me?
1-5/16 or 1-3/16" socket on the accessory drive or a 1-1/8" socket on the crankshaft

There is a engine turning tool for the nh855s made by OTC if you have time and want to keep one on hand for future work

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Push down on the fan belts and turn it backwards using the fan.

71DeuceAK

Following, as someone who has a truck which needs to be barred over to make sure it isn't locked up..granted I suspect that motor is toast...

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
On a 939 series Small cam fan clutch is normally open setup. without air then clutch will not engage so the fan spins freely all the time even with pressure on the belts

Last edited:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well then I guess that won't work. Use a large flat blade screwdriver through the hole in the flywheel housing, if the ring gear aligns with the hole.

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all the replies. Once I got the truck home, I realized why it hasn’t started in a while- no need to hand turn it yet. I bought it as a parts truck so not too disappointed. Now have to figure out what caused the cam follower to crack out. No idea if this is minor or catastrophic.

B3297722-7F9E-4115-9749-DD3167579933.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks