• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sherman, Hellcat, Priest Wright 975-C4 Radial

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The engine above was used in the tracks listed above. The engine uses a Stromberg NA-R9G, 2 5/8 inch venturi, updraft carb. Anyone out there have a contact for parts for that carb? I am in need of an inlet strainer and some gaskets and everyone I have tried can't find anything, it s like it doesn't exist.

Well, I did not call a guy in the Netherlands. Other than that, I have called from Wa to FL. Tx to MI.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll poke the Alberta Aviation Museum, Alberta Reynolds Museum and Buffalo Air. Buffalo's doing a youtube series on "Plane Savers" to prep a DC-3 for D-Day so you can often get to those guys through the comments section.

The M18 used the 975 and was the fastest piece of armour until uncle Abe came out. Tens of thousands 975's were produced and more were put in armour than aircraft. Cool little engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6qQMugCkGo

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I fired off an e-mail to Military Tank Parts, thank you for the lead! I have called many in the industry, seems that the carb is a rare bird. The only person that knew about it was the guy that OWNS Stromberg, but he cannot sell the parts, if he had any, the story was amazing! but a real nice older guy. I tried Vintage Carbs, Precision Fuel, Ducarra Aviation, KPS, Vintage Radials, Mikes Aircraft Fuel Metering Svc. and a mess more. This carb was used ONLY in track laying vehicles. There is a guy in the NL that might have a line on parts, I fired off an e-mail to him too, Joop Staman.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know of one for sale for $1200 or offers in the US pm if interested.
I know of that one too, the issue is, although it looks as it has never been used, the soft parts are gonna be hard as rocks and brittle and if water got in it, the body will be junk. I have contacted the guy, no response as of yet.

Someone PM'd me and asked to see pics. The socket is an 1 1/4 Mac deep impact. The ratchet is a Milwaukee 3/8 M12 for size comparison.

Attachments

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got an update for youse guys, Joop Staman and I finally got on the same page. For some reason, my e-mail acct was directing his return e-mails to spam. BIG thanks to member 'Migginsbros" for helping with contact over seas on this. When I get parts, I will post the rebuild and, hopefully, the track running again.

Here is a link to Staman Trading if anyone is interested

https://staman.nl/

Supersize121

The engine above was used in the tracks listed above. The engine uses a Stromberg NA-R9G, 2 5/8 inch venturi, updraft carb. Anyone out there have a contact for parts for that carb? I am in need of an inlet strainer and some gaskets and everyone I have tried can't find anything, it s like it doesn't exist.

Well, I did not call a guy in the Netherlands. Other than that, I have called from Wa to FL. Tx to MI.
Right now as we speak there are C-4 Carb rebuilt kits on Ebay. They are being sold by Brent Mullins Jeep in College Station TX. I just bough one and some other stuff. they were either 55 or 75 dollars each. Complete NOS with every part needed still sealed in the box.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks