• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HD 765 U 120 or 208 Volt Space Heater

Weller

HD 765 U 120/208 Volt Space Heater

So I was digging around in my Shop Dragon Missile Maintenance (I call her The Dragon) shelter today and finally cleaned the dirt off of a box that's bolted to the floor. I had originally thought it was a dehumidifier and never bothered with it. I discovered it's an electric space heater.

Did some searching and came up with nothing on this site or via google. Looks to be in great condition.

It's made by Wickes Industries in Camden, NJ. Here's the data plate...

W-20190510_172434.jpg

HD-765/U Heater, Space, Electric

The shelter is made by York Astro, a division of Wickes. It's an S-435/GSM-216

Seen one of these before?

Update: I mistook this for 120vac or 208v, didn't read the data plate correctly.

Last edited:

Weller

I got curious seeing I couldn't find any info online about these heaters. Removed the unit and took photos for future reference. It's a model 768.

Looks like it was wired 208 (4 wire) with a standard 2 wire setup to a Honeywell thermostat (was an old mercury model).

I took it apart, cleaned with compressed air, put it back together and wrapped it in plastic for the summer. Come fall I'll put a switch on it and begin testing function.

20190511_104238.jpg 20190511_110453.jpg 20190511_110520.jpg 20190511_111052.jpg 20190511_112629.jpg

If I come across a manual I'll post a link. Will make a great shop heater, especially if I can wire it up off my 803a using 3 phase 208.

Weller

Thank you. I'll come back to it in the fall. I'll wire it up and test in the shop on a breaker and switch. Should be easy since it came with plugs and thermostat wiring.

Weller

I was kind of surprised they are 14 gauge wire. When I get it back out I'll post close ups along with part numbers for the connectors and a wiring diagram for plug and thermostat.

smokem joe

I figured out the wiring hookup, but just have some butt connectors slipped over the heater side right now. Would like to find the correct plug

mcii

Well lets see if we can dial back a bit of your concern on the #14 awg wire, it looks bigger [wire size] in the picture, but for easing your concerns follow the math trail here next. 4,500 watts is your heater output at 100% resistive load, take that number and divide by the sq root of 3 [phase] voltage at 208vac and you get 360 divided into 4,500 and you get 12.5 amps. As best I can read from blowing up your picture we see several things, your wire conductors are contained within a sheath and not the more typical rubber cord. This is good, but it gets a bit better, the wire as best I can read is type THHN and that makes it rated at 25 amps per conductor {where typically #14 wire is most often rated at 15 amps, sans the type THHN rating}
So at the end of this trail you are using 50% of the capability of this conductor, or said differently, you have a 50% head room or unused capacity of the individual conductor. So all this to try and alleviate your concerns, but the acid test can be when you power it up after a 30 minute period or more of continuous operation feel the sheath and or individual conductors, warm is fine, hot is cause for concern, but my bet is your concerns will be placated and you will be satisfied ...
Someone made mention of this unit also serving as a loadbank, it will do that well and could even likely be broken into smaller segments by tracing out the control logic, but that is best left for another effort.
You have a nice find and an item that will serve you very well..
Thanx for sharing and have fun with it all..
mac/mc

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks