• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WW2 Ben Hur Restoration

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am beginning my restoration of a 1942 Ben Hur 1 ton utility trailer. This project will be my last restoration and follows my M35A2, WC51 Weapons Carrier and Ford GPW Jeep. I found this trailer on a farm in Northern California about 5 years ago and it was intended to matched with the WC51 which I recently sold and shipped to Milwaukee. Leaving nothing to tow it with, I will be selling in upon completion. It is in good condition but was missing several parts which I have purchased or fabricated. The restoration includes the wood side rails, top bows, canvas cover and all related hardware.

I have broken down the major component sections and will begin the sandblasting and surface preparation when the weather improves. Hopefully that will be in the next 2 to 3 weeks. Here are some initial photos.

BH 1.jpg BH 2.jpg BH 3.jpg BH 4.jpg

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a whole lot new but I have started the task of total disassembly so today was axle day. Removed both wheel stems attached to the brake drums. I must say that I forgot how stubborn mid 1940's parts and fasteners can be. God bless the torch. The bearings are in great shape but the oil seals are hard. Fortunately I purchased NOS seal kits about two years ago. Everything looks serviceable it is just a matter of the wire brush and the blast cabinet to get then looking new. Here are a few photos.

BH 6.jpg BH 7.jpg BH 8.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks