• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Switching Fuel Tanks on M936A2

Stewardship

Hi Folks! This question concerns switching between fuel tanks on a 1988 Harsco M936A2 Wrecker. Sometimes, when I switch between the right and left fuel tank (lever under the driver's seat), the fuel system loses prime. I suspect that there is some idiosyncrasy about which I need to learn. Operating these trucks is an art form. You gotta know all kinds of little tricks that are not in the manual. Any suggestions? The truck was just rebuilt at Red River, so I doubt anything is broken. We use this truck daily in our agroforestry business. Thanks!

Stewardship

Yeh. It's weird. One thing I have learned... I never park the rig on a steep hill with the fuel tanks downhill from the engine. Also, I turn the fuel tank selector valve only when the engine is running and let it idle for a few minutes, before driving. Do you think I am just doing superstitious dances or do these precautions make sense?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replace all of the rubber fuel hoses. There are a bunch on the fuel tank selector valve.

Try searching "selector valve o-rings".

Here's one to get started, https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?76086-5-ton-fuel-tank-selector-valve-cleaning-rebuild

And here one on the fuel lines, https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?142270-M931-Fuel-Line-amp-Filter-Replacement-Results

In the past, these have been covered pretty well.
I'm with doghead. Usually changing the rubber fuel hoses fixes a lot of fuel problems. There are different grades of fuel line too. Buy the best you can afford for a longer fix!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks