• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 front hub gets Warm

CryoGuy6075

I replaced the front drivers bearings awhile back and the hub doesn't get hot but does get warm. The truck tracks straight and it doesn't pull to ether side even when braking. Is it normal for them to get warm?

Barrman

How warm is warm? Try driving a bit at highway speed and the drifting to a stop without using the brakes. Then check the temperature.

CryoGuy6075

How warm is warm? Try driving a bit at highway speed and the drifting to a stop without using the brakes. Then check the temperature.
Not hot enough to burn your hand but definitely warm enough to think something is different. This is my first truck like this and am not sure if it is normal.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

319cssb

So is it getting hot or is it getting warm? You're conflicting in your own post.
How about getting a IR thermometer from harbor freight and come back with measurements from both hubs after a drive.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I edited your title to reflect the hub getting warm and not hot.
The title was misleading.

CryoGuy6075

I edited your title to reflect the hub getting warm and not hot.
The title was misleading.
Thank you. It was getting HOT before I changed the bearings on the drivers side. It no longer gets as hot but still gets quite warm. The bearings that came out were purple because of the heat... I just wasnt sure if they were supposed to get warm or stay at ambient temp.

nyoffroad

I'd be jacking it up NOW and checking for a tight wheel bearing, better to be a tad loose than a tad to tight! Did you pack the bearing or just smear grease onto them?

CryoGuy6075

Yes I packed the bearings very well and put quite a bit inside the hub as well. I did torque both the bearing nut and the retaining/lock nut to spec. When I tried rotating the tire by hand it did not want to spin freely. So I took no the nuts off and retightned them but not as tight as the torque specs. It did spin freely but still gets, what I think, is unusually warm.

Also, I just returned home from running errands and when I got home I felt of the hubs and they both are about the same temp. When I grab the hub after about 10 sec it is hot enough to get uncomfortable. Not hot enough to burn you but you don't want to continue to hold hold on for too much longer... I will try to get a better reading with a laser temp thingy later today or tomorrow.

CryoGuy6075

https://youtu.be/BhL1uAp_WCw
This way works better. I do it this way. I have the automatic type but prefer this method. I always like getting dirty. Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap.
Hahaha love the AC/DC reference... Also I did use this method and I have done bearings like this for many years when I was in the Marines... So, I would say that the bearings were packed properly.

nyoffroad

Are you sure it's not your brakes dragging?
If you packed them and the bearing are not to tight then brakes are whats left. Many times an old caliper get moisture and crude in the cylinder bore and it corrodes the bore that keeps the piston from returning back and keeps the pads rubbing on the rotor. Simple fix, replace caliper.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
GAA and going by the TM's will work.
What temperature is the other hub?
Take a ride and then measure against the hub You fixed as compared to the one You didn't fix.
We like pitchers, and the measurements data.

CryoGuy6075

Here are some pics of the laser temp meter... Is this temp to high? The 143 is drivers side and the 136 is pass side. This is after 30-40 min of city traffic.

richingalveston

mine usually run around 100 degrees but this is with highway driving. never checked with city driving but when I first got my truck back on the road after lift, I checked them often. If you were on the brakes a lot that will add some heat. They should be the same so you may want to look closer at the one with highest number

CryoGuy6075

mine usually run around 100 degrees but this is with highway driving. never checked with city driving but when I first got my truck back on the road after lift, I checked them often. If you were on the brakes a lot that will add some heat. They should be the same so you may want to look closer at the one with highest number
I was on the brakes quite often... I will have to do a freeway test when I have a day off...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks