• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spicer 5 speed question

Olly

I was wondering if the airlines that go to my transmission just control the poppet valve? I will be replacing the transfer case in my xm818 and putting an air switch in the dash so I won't need the poppet valve anymore. I would like to remove the airlines from the transmission just wasn't sure if they were there for any other reason. Also in the T-1138 transfer case other then the airline to activate it does it need any other air connections? Replumbing my whole truck air system, brakes, fuel..... so just trying to plan out what I need and what I can eliminate just trying to keep it stupid simple the less I have the more I like it. Thanks.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The air lines on the trans control the forward and reverse sprague of the transfer case, so yes you need it all.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chris, he is replacing the stock T-138 TC with a T-1138 from the M939 series. So there are no more sprags to be controlled/shifted; just one dash-mounted air switch needed, and a single line to the new T-case.

To Olly: check out this thread, if you haven't seen it yet.

Olly

thanks for the response and yes since I am replacing it with the T-1138 there is no more sprag. Also thanks for the heads up on the thread it should help with my installation.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
On that thread. The 809 series trucks use a companion flange on the transmission side. You can use a companion flange on the transfer case on the 939 as well. The flange swaps with the stock mechanics style easily. I will try to find the part number. This will save you several hundred dollars not having a shaft made

It can be expensive to make a morph joint with mechanics style and 1710s.

You can see the flange on the t1138 here.

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
..... I will try to find the part number. ....
Did it for ya...

NSN 2520-00-734-6802; part# A3280G1957

Meritor uses either 5WCS32-37A or A3280G1957; Navistar has it as ​99023R11

Olly: Do a google-search for "Navistar ​99023R11" and buy that flange NOS for $75, free shipping.
Or maybe post a WTB-ad, here in our classifieds. A good takeout, out of a 5-ton diff.; -transmission or -TC-output (they are all the same part#) might come out even cheaper...

EDIT TO ADD: The above part# is only good for the T-138 TC; not the T-1138! (See my post #9!)

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Did it for ya...

NSN 2520-00-734-6802; part# A3280G1957

Meritor uses either 5WCS32-37A or A3280G1957; Navistar has it as ​99023R11

Olly: Do a google-search for "Navistar ​99023R11" and buy that flange NOS for $75, free shipping.
Or maybe post a WTB-ad, here in our classifieds. A good takeout, out of a 5-ton diff.; -transmission or -TC-output (they are all the same part#) might come out even cheaper...

If I remember right the flange that goes for the front output on the t1138 is the one you would use for the input on the Jack shaft. Part # A-3280-U-7535

I got it from swampdonkey. I believe that was his extra. Maybe it's in my old CAT thread

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I remember right the flange that goes for the front output on the t1138 is the one you would use for the input on the Jack shaft. Part # A-3280-U-7535

I got it from swampdonkey. I believe that was his extra. Maybe it's in my old CAT thread
I stand corrected, Wes! Your part number is right; mine was wrong... Just confirmed: the flanges of the T-138 and T-1138 are the same size but they have different splines.:doh:

Sorry Olly, that suggested part in my post above WILL NOT WORK for a T-1138!
FWIW, both, front and rear output flanges of the T-1138 are the same.

One possible source: (Military Truck Parts), NOS at $66 +$15 sh.

Olly

Thanks for the heads up guys. I had found the part number A-3280-U-7535 if that's the right one then I will be purchasing it.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Checking up on your install. Has it progressed? I am considering putting a T-1138 in my M818. I am mostly curious about modifications to the jackshaft and both propeller shafts lengths using the existing frame bolt up location.

77 AMG

i have this set-up in my XM818, and the X-case is NOT in the original location! It is FORWARD by about 1.5". i believe the reason was something about the length of the rear d/s being the issue. I will call the guy tomorrow and find out find why. I can also get you the d/s lengths tomorrow, after work, along with some pictures of said items.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
i have this set-up in my XM818, and the X-case is NOT in the original location! It is FORWARD by about 1.5". i believe the reason was something about the length of the rear d/s being the issue. I will call the guy tomorrow and find out find why. I can also get you the d/s lengths tomorrow, after work, along with some pictures of said items.
It was due to the jackshaft. Swapped the input yoke on the transfer case from a mechanics style the m939 used to a flat companion yoke the M809s use on their transfer case. This allowed him to use the stock jackshaft from the 818. Spicer output yokes with mechanics style joints were not made very often

The person that you got the truck from had a build thread on here he did. I remember giving him the part number for the input flange on the transfer case

77 AMG

Yeah. He did a pretty solid job of putting the truck together. It ran 70- 75 MPH from Springfield, MO to the farm here in KY, roughly 600 miles and never skipped a beat, unless you count hills- then, the lack of a turbo was very obvious! Thanks for the help for him, and other folks, simp5782. It means alot!

EDIT- Of course, being on 1400 20 tires contributed as well!

Attachments

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yeah. He did a pretty solid job of putting the truck together. It ran 70- 75 MPH from Springfield, MO to the farm here in KY, roughly 600 miles and never skipped a beat, unless you count hills- then, the lack of a turbo was very obvious! Thanks for the help for him, and other folks, simp5782. It means alot!

EDIT- Of course, being on 1400 20 tires contributed as well!
Depending on how much you drive it. You should look at replacing those XLs. They are known to blow sidewalls quite often. They are also 20yrs old or older

We have high tread XZLs in 1400 and lots of 395s for cheap if you replace them. About 4hrs south of you

Last edited:

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was due to the jackshaft. Swapped the input yoke on the transfer case from a mechanics style the m939 used to a flat companion yoke the M809s use on their transfer case. This allowed him to use the stock jackshaft from the 818. Spicer output yokes with mechanics style joints were not made very often

The person that you got the truck from had a build thread on here he did. I remember giving him the part number for the input flange on the transfer case
This companion flange (with correct spline for the t-1138 ) is the one you are speaking of?...
A-3280-U-7535

T-1138 Companion Flange 001.jpg T-1138 Companion Flange 002.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks