Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: FLU419 air compressor zero PSI; where do I start?

Private
    Thanks

I agree on all points: reading the manual, brakes should have pressure without air, etc.

But in this case... I was just trying to get the vehicle from the drop off point to my house. I had to change the fuel filters just to make it up the driveway (kept sputtering on the slightest incline). Nothing in the owner's manual covers "how to drive up driveway without brakes" ha ha ha.

Anyway... no obvious leaks in the hydraulic system. I ordered a better vacuum bleeder and I'm going to flush the entire system. It's entirely possible that PO put incorrect fluid in (who knows) and the master or caliper(s) are leaking internally.

MVPA
    24241L
    Thanks

Gifu,

A few words of encouragement for you: it will improve.

When I first took delivery of mine, I immediately did as the rest have recommended and changed fluids/filters/lubed and wound up tracking down some new Bosch relays and such to get it working under it's own power. Just part of the fun of the hobby.

You will gradually find things "coming back to life" on your truck. It just needs a bit of love and Use. Sitting idle is not good for anything, especially something like this. Once your immediate need of brakes is remedied, LUBE all of those zerks (follow the LO!), ensure that your hydraulic fluid is in decent shape, and give all of the hydraulics a workout.

Good luck and welcome to the tribe!
    SJ/JD
    Last edited by Sgt Jiggins; 05-17-2019 at 15:45.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sgt Jiggins For This Useful Post:

Gifu (05-18-2019)

Private
    Thanks

While i'm waiting for my vacuum bleeder (how have I never owned one of these?) and DOT5 brake fluid to show up...
    question. the PO had a shop install a new master. My theory is that the shop used DOT 5.1 (or 4) which cannot be mixed with DOT 5.

Also... The brake master on my truck only has one connection (one hose) to the brake reservoir. Is that weird?

All the ones I see online have two connections to the reservoir:

FLU419 brake master.jpg

Thanks

Personally I had better luck with a pressure bleeder than a vacuum bleeder . The DOT 5 seems a little more viscous than the glycol fluid. Details and photos are in the main thread.

I have 2 reservoirs, one for clutch and one for brakes. One circuit of the brake goes to the clutch reservoir for redundancy in case of fluid loss in the main reservoir. The correct master cylinder was very expensive and or impossible to find for a while until Expedition Imports got an aftermarket version made. Perhaps the shop got creative and screwed it up in the process.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2