• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about 5 ton purchase/ ownership

exhogflyer

Guys, I have a question for the group here that I'm sure someone can answer. New Deuce owner here and I'm glad I bought it. My question is :after going to a few shows I find myself looking at the 5 tons and thinking .....crazily........it might be fun to have one. And I see SO many of you folks have several MV's in the fleet that makes me think this is normal ? Let's face it, for 90% of us they're rather "useless" except for the fun we get. Is this a normal progression or am I insane ? ( always known I was insane anyway) And, truly, what do most of you do with these trucks or is it just not talked about? Help !!!:mrgreen:

sandcobra164

I started with a Deuce, got a second Deuce, serviced and sold it to pay for the first one, purchased a CUCV M1028 for the wife and then the 5 ton question came up. I initially took a M923 up to the Georgia Rally to see if I could sell it for a friend. I didn't get any real nibbles and thought "What a shame, this truck has some good bones under it". I sold my Deuce and purchased the 5 ton. Full airbrakes was the thing I loved most as they are less failure prone and if they do fail, the truck will stop. An added benefit is I can go to work on Monday following a 190 mile trip which I was unable to do after rolling that distance in the Deuce. 2 years ago I made the October trip after breaking my foot in September with my crutches in the cab and the truck didn't let me down in 500 miles of driving in a few short days. Now onto use. We attend local parades, Rallies, Camping Trips and I haul HMMWV's, Trailers, most anything people want me to haul from the local GovPlanet yard. My trucks have always paid their way thanks to members on here needing assistance.

tobyS

I went the other way (5 tons then 2 deuces) because of the auctions having mostly 5 tons.

Sanity is over-rated.

eric67camino

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Eventually, you start making up uses to justify them. Haha. Used mine as a mobile work platform today. I had loaned out my pole saw and needed to clear some limbs.20190512_162856.jpg
After I get the hydraulics for the bed going, I'll haul some gravel, etc. But mostly it's just a toy to drive around.

8madjack

My first and so far only is a 5 ton, was looking on craigslist at deuces when I found it. I got it for a personal water tender fire truck and then realized the fun side! It does that job, helps with yard work and is fun to pimp out and put around too. 20180610_111748.jpg 20181114_145050.jpg

Steelreaper80

I work my truck. Super useful. I am a contractor for the railroad and it lugs around my 13,000 lb tractor to and from fields regionally. Also will care 10,000 lbs of steel pipe if I am doing a cable barricade install plus towing the tractor! These things are great. I will never sell mine. It makes me was away too much money. Could I find a civilian truck that could do this maybe more efficiently, sure.....but you loose the wow factor and civilian trucks are super expensive.

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My first and currently only MV is a 5 ton. I plan on getting a trailer some time soon. For me it is 100% useful, because it is only for 100% fun. I geuss your going down the ususal path of progression as with anyone catching O.D. fever.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks