• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 locking hubs .

britcucv

I had the front of my m1009 jacked up the other day ,and I noticed as I spun the wheels the front drive shafts were turning,the hubs were unlocked position,so does this mean the lockout hubs need replacing.

britcucv

Didn’t want to pull them apart as I don’t really know what I am doing, just hopping some one could give me some ideas to pass on to my mechanic ,I am already trying to maintain a willys mb and halftrack just trying to take some of the workload off as I am nearly 70 .

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter

cucvrus

Very easy to take the hubs apart. If stock hubs are in place a TX25 will be all you need to remove the handles/covers. The bear is the snap ring holding the hub body in the hub. Getting that outer wire ring out can be a bear for an amateur. 2 small screw drivers and you can nail it. Then the snap ring pliers to get the axle stub snap ring off. If it is rusty and white with corrosion getting the body out will be a joy. But it can be done with a puller rigged up and spray and tapping. I have done it. After the hub is removed you can look it over and disassemble it and clean it. It may require a deep lengthy cleaning depending on condition. Use a bit of wheel bearing grease and lightly lube and oil the hub and hub body. And while there go the rest of the way and take the wheel bearings and spindles apart. May have never been done. All sorts of horrors come hidden in these old trucks. Good Luck. Report back on your findings and we can go from there. But it is a very easy task. Just requires a little guidance. Pictures will direct that guidance where needed. No books needed for this repair. Dirty hands or gloves work best.

nyoffroad

Before tearing into it jack up one side so the tire is off the ground an inch or so then reach in and stick a screwdriver into that side axle u-joint then making sure hub is in free position spin the the tire. If it spins then hub is free and it's just cold thick grease if tire dosn't spin you've got problems.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks