• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wiring help MEP 004a

Guyfang

Staff member
That looks like the one that runs down to the AC section. Good luck. There was a few months ago, a guy in flebay with a 30 kw he wanted to sell parts off of.

robertsears1

If you have all of the old plugs, you might try an aircraft avionics shop. All those small white wires look about the same size used in airplanes, plus they should have a way to imprint the numbers on the wire.

Robert

Guyfang

Staff member
You could buy a scrap gen set for the price you pay to have a new harness made.

There are only two standard wire sizes for that section.

What is wrong with your harness?

Whats the J/P number next to the plug on the S/P relay box?

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
That would be my take on it. It will still work, and that gives you time to look.

Mice are the bane of gen sets. I once had a total of 11 gen sets down, for mice damage, out of 24-26 gen sets. No one felt it was a problem until a 1.5 million dollar radar went up in smoke. Not just damaged, up in smoke. Then our foolish HAWK WO, brought in cats. No more mice, but the cat brought on its own problems. Hundreds of dead mice. No problem as long as the snow was still on the ground. But when it melted............... Oh boy, did it stink. And then the stupid cat had kittens.

Guyfang

Staff member
Take some more pictures.

Looks like the fuel filter, primary is missing. The hold down bracket for the speed switch adapter is missing. There is a hole in the fuel tank top, I think it's for the fuel return system, missing. The two wires should be for the heater system, and are not needed unless you have one installed. Yes, take more pictures.

For the fuel system, there is two ways to look at it. One, find the right parts, and install them. Two, create your own. The old system consisted of two fuel filters, and a water separator. Good clean fuel is an engines best friend. I always liked the twin fuel filter idea, but technology has improved in the last 40-50 years. So a good new type filter, with filters that are easy to get, sounds like a good idea. I am very high on filters systems with a clear bowl on it, so so can SEE what's going on with your fuel. And a fuel/water separator is something else I like. I think going this way might be best. Unless you just want to have it like it came from the army. I would think you could come up with a system that you could install on the set, and not have to take out a loan.

You our have a steel tank. It needs to pull it out, and inspect it. It's easy. Disconnect the hoses, fuel filler tube and fuel level sender. Should be a ground there also. Then remove the rear lower panel, under the control panel. Pull out the tank. Take a gander in it and see if it's rusted badly. That's why the army went to plastic tanks. I would pressure wash it. My boys came up with a fine way to clean them. Put the tank in a truck bed. Fill the tank up with water, 3/4 full, add a gallon of simple green. Then put duck tape on every hole. Got to clean the surface where the tape will be. Then drive around. For a while. Pump the brakes every now and then. We always put 5-6 tanks in a truck, then sent the youngest soldier out into the desert for driver training. Pressure was when you get back to the barn.

Take more pictures.

319cssb

IMG_5732.jpgIMG_5733.jpgIMG_5734.jpgIMG_5731.jpgIMG_5730.jpg
The two wires are not labeled I can't find anything it could be connected to. So I will probably put shrink wrap on the ends and tie the wires up somewhere.
Not sure what these halfway sticking out bolts are all about, but that doesn't look like it is supposed to be this way.
The fuel line in the last photo probably goes to the missing fuel filter assembly. I'll have to figure out how it was attached. and remedy this crapola.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
View attachment 764889 WP_20180316_18_03_55_Pro.jpg This is what it should look like. The bolts COULD be the bolts that held the missing fuel filter head on the bracket.I just happened to have this picture because I was helping someone else with about the same problem. Missing parts.

View attachment 764890 If I remember right, and I haven't laid hands on one of these sets since 2010, but I believe we wire tied these wires off about where the water temp switch is. The wire harness runs past the secondary fuel filter and water separator, then towards the temp switch.

View attachment 764891View attachment 764892

View attachment 764888 Mechanical speed switch. Is repairable. Don't fool with it, if it works. Make sure the lock down bolts are still tight, and safety wired. As you can see in the first picture i inserted, the speed switch adapter has a hold down clamp. I think yours is missing.

The two wires are not labeled I can't find anything it could be connected to. So I will probably put shrink wrap on the ends and tie the wires up somewhere.
Not sure what these halfway sticking out bolts are all about, but that doesn't look like it is supposed to be this way.
The fuel line in the last photo probably goes to the missing fuel filter assembly. I'll have to figure out how it was attached. and remedy this crapola.

If the oil filter housing still has all its parts, there is a spring in it. When you take off the cover, be expecting this surprise. Oil filter is available from WIX, NAPA and Fram.

Is there a fuel tank in the bottom of the set?

Last edited:

319cssb

The hold down looks a bit like the vacuum pump hold down on a cucv. I was wondering why mine is all loose. I will definetely need this part.
Yes there is a fuel tank in the bottom of the set. I cleaned the outside of it. Looks decent ... looks like aluminum?

the oil filter housing has a hose thats a bit chewed ip. Ill replace that to not get a nasty surprise

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
I think the tanks are steel.

The hose from the ether starting aid is not hooked to the L3, Ether starting solenoid, or missing completely. BUT you do have a bottle of ether. I never used it, there are better ways to start a cold harted gen set.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks