• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can my Jerry can be used with diesel?

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The word on the street is that diesel in a galvanized can or fuel tank is bad because the diesel dissolves the zinc which gets into your injection pump. So I have this 1986 USMC can that is galvanized on the outside for sure but the inside has a smooth slippery tan coating. The can is stamped G - could this be to call out Gas only?

20190514_163338.jpg

20190514_163543.jpg

20190514_163403.jpg

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes. But the problem is they rust and that's what will mess up ya fuel system. Better to have one of the newer plastic ones. Use the metal one for display only.
And yes I know if you maintain them they'll be fine. I used them In the Military for 40 years so I know you can. Also make sure the ears on the cap are rolled over, if they are straight up its probably a water can. Sometimes stamped water, sometimes not! The G might just mean government. Never saw one with a D?

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ears are straight up with no water markings anywhere. Could that mean that the internal coating may not withstand fuels? It smells like the can formerly held gasoline.

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, the more I thought about it the water cans should have had a flip down type cover! The ears should not matter I think they just meant age of the can or maybe mfg? Again we used them for years until the plastic ones came out, got rid of the possibility for getting rust into the tank. Never had any knowledge of any other issues! To in 25 years never changed an IJ Pump! Oh and I have seen both gas and diesel used in everything, to include water cans, which of course ruined them. But anything goes!

Rick

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 5 of those cans dating from the mid 60s to mid 80s. I used them for diesel when I had my Deuce and still use them for gas for my jeep. They will be fine as long as you don't let water sit in them.

fasttruck

Water cans have different tops than fuel cans. Steel water cans have a cam lock top and plastic ones have a top that screws over the top of the can and fuel cans have threaded female openings to accept the dispensing spout. As mentioned before the water cans also have a smaller cap fitted to the big cap to allow dispensing small quantities of water to fill a canteen or what not.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Either during or slightly after WWII the military came up with an easy way to distinguish water cans from fuel cans. Water cans have ONE handle, Fuel cans have THREE handles. Not to say that water cans have not been used for fuel, but I hope not vice versa.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Either during or slightly after WWII the military came up with an easy way to distinguish water cans from fuel cans. Water cans have ONE handle, Fuel cans have THREE handles. Not to say that water cans have not been used for fuel, but I hope not vice versa.
All the steel and aluminum water cans I've seen still had three handles. The plastic water cans had one handle versus the three on fuel cans but those didn't show up until the later 1960s I believe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks