• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power steering

Looking for the best set up to put power steering on my old girl. 1970 m35a2. My dad is a Vietnam vet and needs to upgrade his Armstrong steering. So what is the most economical and current way to do this. Please point me in the right direction. Thanks

Last edited:

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The most economical way takes time and knowledge.

Your best bet is to do an advanced search and you will find several threads on the subject. Putting aside the threads on adapting what people can cobble together I found 2 steering boxes mentioned the most.

The HF54, as mentioned in this thread and several others: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?170499-HF54-power-steering-for-my-M35A2

And the Saginaw 710 that Waterloo features. Several part suppliers (web search) have kits that seem to range from about $3k to $5500. A note on Waterloo, I recently had problems with them and if you order from them make sure you use a credit card.

The cheapest way I've seen, if you don't already have the parts lying around still involved at least $1k in parts (again, search the threads), months finding those parts and a little luck thrown in.

Last edited:

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you could find a Tom Bauer unit is the way to go. Unfortunately Tom is no longer makes or sells them. Perhaps someone has one for sale. This is a true power steering unit not an air assist.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks