• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-803A inside an S-280 Shelter

Weller

After spring cleaning my 803a and finding varmint nests (and recent rain after cleaning) I've began the process of moving it indoors.

I was going to build a structure but I have a spare S-280 Shelter that I think may be a perfect fit.

I'm seeking thoughts as to why this is (or isn't) a good idea.

The measurements work, gen set fits through front door and there's 22" clearance on each side,and over 30" clearance front and back.

The shelter has a vented front door, a vented back window, an open vented ceiling, and a side hatch for cables, hoses, etc.

It also already has a breaker panel (which I'd rewire 3 phase).

I'd probably do a rubber floor (garage tiles) and mount the genset to the structure so I could move it if required.

Operator panel to the back (more lighting) and fuel tank to the front (easy access to fuel at door).

I'd add the remote start wifi setup and mount an external wifi antenna.

Also solar panel on roof to keep batteries charged.

20190510_164318.jpg 20190510_164817.jpg 20190510_164736.jpg 20190510_164716.jpg

I may use the open hole in top for an electronic exhaust (or fan) to increase cool air flow in summer, have not researched options yet.

The S-280 has a polyurethane foam core with aluminum skins.

I'll clear enough space to extend exhaust or use the existing opening.

Aside from testing it out, I have no way of knowing if it will make less noise, have adequate air flow, etc.

Open to any thoughts and suggestions, thanks!

m715

I think that will work fine. I want to do the same type set up with my generator and air compressor. Keeping equipment out of the weather and a dry place to work on it is a good thing. Also helps keep noise down.

Guyfang

Staff member
Its all about room to move. Can you put it in there and still be able to get the doors open and do PMCS type stuff? Cause I tell you, trying to do some simple chore, when you cant turn around, makes it a bear. And second, ventilation. Keeping it cool enough to not over heat in the summer. I know how it gets hot there, and I really know how hot a gen set can make a small room. Those are your two big problems.

Weller

Got to spend some time planning this weekend. I think movement will be good, especially if I apply your quick release technique to the side doors. Ventilation is going to require some testing. Front door is vented but not sure how much air will flow. Rear windows offer plenty and I'll likely add an exhaust fan (or fans) for summer. I have enough ecu's that I could add one but goal is to keep noise down.

Generator gets very little use in summer, since home runs on solar. The challenge is I do run it on the hottest days of summer (100 degrees plus) but typically only about 2 hours, cooling the house before sundown.

Here's a peek inside current shell.

20190518_143213.jpg

I'm liking the possibilities of a clean controlled environment. I'd put in a new distribution panel (3 phase) and put my surplus hubbell connectors to use.

Zed254

I once had a generator similar to this generac 5500 (https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200370713_200370713) inside a 12x20 building. Each side wall had a window and I opened them up when running.....and held my breath if I had to enter the building for generator maintenance. During an 8 day outage one summer it really struck me by how HOT it was in the building. The exhaust was adding more heat than the windows could transfer out of the shed. I then assembled a metal exhaust hose to get those hot exhaust fumes out of the building. This set up improved the conditions inside the shed quite a bit.

For an 802 or 803 I would also consider a plenum or some way to deliver FRESH outside air to the intake. The easiest method might be a dedicated exhaust duct off the top of the machine that directs exhaust from the radiator directly outside the building. Your windows and open door would allow a good supply of fresh outside cooling air. And as you first stated you need to run an engine exhaust pipe outside the S280 shed.

Bmxenbrett

At 22in on each side that dosnt give you much room to open the door. Much less open the door and get by them. But in all reality these things dont need much maintenance.

I still want to build a roof over mine. Just keeping the snow,rain and sun off it will help a ton im sure.

Weller

At 22in on each side that dosnt give you much room to open the door. Much less open the door and get by them. But in all reality these things dont need much maintenance.

I still want to build a roof over mine. Just keeping the snow,rain and sun off it will help a ton im sure.
Getting the doors open works, getting past an open door won't. My current outdoor setup (up against a a shed) is tighter than that and I make it. Like you said, not much maintenance required.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks