• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M931A1 help

genefireguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our fire dept built a water tender out of a M931A1 we may need to add auxiliary braking system we need to know if it can be done. If so has anyone done it??

Gene

Fire Chief

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gene....you will have to give more details. What do you mean by auxiliary? The M931A1 air brakes have glad hands to run a trailers air system. Or do you mean changing the 931 wedge type to S-cam?

genefireguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The inspection checklist for sending truck to fires now says " All vehicles 36,000 GVWR or greater shall be installed with an operator-controlledauxiliary braking system in addition to the service brakes (i.e., engine retarder,transmission retarder, driveline retarder, or exhaust retarder " so guess my Question is can I add one of theses to this truck?

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The inspection checklist for sending truck to fires now says " All vehicles 36,000 GVWR or greater shall be installed with an operator-controlled auxiliary braking system in addition to the service brakes (i.e., engine retarder,transmission retarder, driveline retarder, or exhaust retarder " so guess my Question is can I add one of theses to this truck?

The truck already has air powered wedge brakes at six wheels, so the E-Brake at the T-case should be considered an auxiliary brake .

I have 2 6x6 tenders and they have never questioned this on mine, one is a Deuce and the other a M931A2, assuming yours is the same ...

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The truck already has air powered wedge brakes at six wheels, so the E-Brake at the T-case should be considered an auxiliary brake .

I have 2 6x6 tenders and they have never questioned this on mine, one is a Deuce and the other a M931A2, assuming yours is the same ...
Then you need to install a standard tractor parking valve so you can use your emergency brake without it locking the spring brakes up.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the emergency brake that is on the truck works, like VR says, you have a "drive-line retarder". No jake required...just make sure the e-brake is working, has lining on the shoes and is in adjustment.

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ya I don't see where the secondary brake system has to be completely separate in acuation from the standard brakes, it just has to be there, so if you pull the brake handle up and the main brakes don't work, you still have the E-brake which is manually activated and will still function .

It is purposely designed this way (obviously) for a reason, that reason being that the soldier in the field doesn't have to think twice or grab a second lever, one and done .

Don't over think it, they just want a back up fail safe, the fact that it is on the same lever should have nothing to do with it .

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
All A2 trucks have the mounting location for a push pull parking brake valve to be installed. The hole in the bracket that goes from the shifter to the dash board. Enlarge it. T your supply for the valve off of your spring brake override supply. This still is a spring brake tank air supply.

Plug the supply port off behind the drivers step and connect a union the spring supply and run it to the parking valve.

Cost is around $75 for everything.

genefireguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All A2 trucks have the mounting location for a push pull parking brake valve to be installed. The hole in the bracket that goes from the shifter to the dash board. Enlarge it. T your supply for the valve off of your spring brake override supply. This still is a spring brake tank air supply.

Plug the supply port off behind the drivers step and connect a union the spring supply and run it to the parking valve.

Cost is around $75 for everything.
My guys are asking if you have any pictures of this if you have already done this.

Thanks Gene

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
My guys are asking if you have any pictures of this if you have already done this.

Thanks Gene
Your truck already has the trailer valve to the left of the shifter. can add the parking valve in that hole in front of the shifter. You can get supply air either a T into the spring brake override or run it from under the truck. Doesnt matter.

https://youtu.be/ELcWO5Q2A1w

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks