• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

16.00 on M929A2, pros and cons

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's an 1989 with a cummins non turbo and allison 5spd. I really need to go a larger tire, have seen alot of the 9 series truck running the 53" tires but didn't really consider any "Cons" over all the "Pro's" to having them in the deep sugar sand. I've seen these trucks with the duals 11" have a harder time through the sugar sand when pulling a camper and then the same model of truck with the 53's more or less floats easily through.
That truck is an '84 or '85. "A0"...

16.00's would be just fine in your application. 395's would also be fine.

5th wheel camper doesn't really qualify as "heavy" in the context of these trucks.

Those hills on I 25 are going to slow you down no matter what, 395s later than the 16.00's but you're going to end up crawling up them either way.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CNC2013, we have very different needs because I have a dump truck and the A2, with some turbo lag and low settings for fuel and rpm.

I'm sure the 250 can be a good candidate for the larger tires, maybe even better than the 8.3T.

Now a bobbed 5 ton with 53" and a rear air locker....I'm all for that.

CNC2013

tobyS, yes sir very different needs. I'm a newbie to this but have been enthused for over a couple of years now on these trucks and the purpose down at our lake. I've been doing my research and searching for a good used truck for this. Honestly I'm sick of fighting for a descent camp spot on the shoreline that I can get my 3/4 ton and camper to without getting stuck in the sand. There are a few sections of the shoreline that only the 2.5 and 5 tons can get to hauling campers/boats and it's never crowded....that's where I want to be so I don't have to worry about getting stuck anymore...ha ha ha.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you 98G, I see you are familiar with this area :)
Been through there frequently in everything from a HMMWV to an M818 on 16.00's. I've got buddies in Socorro and Las Cruces.

I don't know what you have in mind for a hitch, but something to consider is hitch height with super singles. The linked post includes some pics of my XM818 with 11.00s and camper and even with just the 11.00s it's almost too high for the civvy camper. 16.00's would be a no go.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?188519-Initial-shake-down-trip-of-a-new-to-me-XM818

(I can't get pics to list today for some reason. Otherwise I'd just add pics here)

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you 98G, I see you are familiar with this area :)
98G is very familiar with these trucks as well. Not sure how much your spending on the m923, but If it a substantial amount and your not yet committed you might take a look at the M818 that he has in the classifieds, lots of cool mods already done that will cost you alot more down the road anyhow. Maybe throw a small bed on it with a low 5th wheel on the rear, and you’ll be ready for the beach!

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
98G is very familiar with these trucks as well. Not sure how much your spending on the m923, but If it a substantial amount and your not yet committed you might take a look at the M818 that he has in the classifieds, lots of cool mods already done that will cost you alot more down the road anyhow. Maybe throw a small bed on it with a low 5th wheel on the rear, and you’ll be ready for the beach!
I have drooled over that 818 ever since seeing it. I like the older style body. You could put a fifth wheel camper at the end of the frame and save the bed space.

Last edited:

CNC2013

Hi guys, thank you for all the great suggestions. I am getting this at a great price and yes I have been considering the height of the where the hitch would be with the truck on 53’s as compared to where my pin box is at. Currently my pin box is at 53” so it might be too high on 53’s. I’ve got my axles flipped on my camper for height already to match my 3/4 ton but I am thinking now I may have to stick with 46’s. Either way, flight is booked and flying out on the 28 to pick it up and drive back. Can you guys recommend any tools I should pick up or take with me? SWA has the 50lb limit so the entire box is a no go...lol

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m sure 98G has a good list of tools and parts. He’s done this a couple times.

Have you considered shipping a box of tools to the seller? Cheaper than having to buy tools there.

I drove mine from Idaho to TX. I shipped a replacement seat and adapter bracket. (Stock seat and my back ... no way). Well over 24 hrs of driving.

it was mid July. It was hot, so I brought two or three shemagh’s (scarfs) to wet down and wrap around my neck. Really helped keep me cool. Life saver.

Bring good hearing protection and sunglasses. It’s going to be loud and windy. I drove 17.5 hours straight and my head was ringing for 3 days.

Good luck!

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
... I have been considering the height of the where the hitch would be with the truck on 53’s as compared to where my pin box is at. Currently my pin box is at 53” so it might be too high on 53’s. I’ve got my axles flipped on my camper for height already to match my 3/4 ton but I am thinking now I may have to stick with 46’s.
I wouldn’t let that be my deciding factor. 16.00’s just look cool as all get out. When you air them down to 15-20 lbs for sand, they are going to get better traction in the sand, since your footprint is larger.

Lots of plans and photos on here about dropped receiver hitches. There was even a winch thread with “hardhead” showing a well built dropped receiver hitch plate. Lots of guys have done them on deuce and 5 tons.

Also, you might be able to change out your tongue to an adjustable height hitch. Add a drop hitch, and you are level!

No offense to the 395’s out there, but ... well ... they look tiny. Don’t do that to your rig! :)

CNC2013

I agree and there are a number of trucks out here running several differ tire sizes so what you are saying makes sense.. small tire big truck, might as well shine it and go cruise the mall.. ha ha ha ha

Yes hearing protection is a must, I have seen numerous videos and all said the same thing.

you guys are awesome and thank you for all the help and advice. I’m sure I’ll have more questions once I have the truck and I am going through it in my drive way.

CNC2013

tobyS - Sorry for hijacking your thread....I honestly didn't think it was going to carry on this far but hopefully you are getting some good advice as well from these experienced guys.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
tobyS - Sorry for hijacking your thread....I honestly didn't think it was going to carry on this far but hopefully you are getting some good advice as well from these experienced guys.
No problem. If I had the horsepower I would use them. I especially like them with a 4x4 809 series....but that is another MV dream. Darn it sucks to be cash poor.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
They do last about 50 to 55,000 miles on a 5 ton though. I never rotated them. Where it blew it had a sidewall slice.

This is the reason I dont run beadlocks in the rear. It is easier to break the wheel down rather than a beaded alligator

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks