• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Grommet

Hmmv4me

Hi guys, I have been digging through all of the parts manuals that I can find and can't find a part number for the rubber grommet that goes behind the blackout light on my M998. Anybody have the number?

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
NONMETALLIC HARDNESS RATING45 MINIMUM SHORE DUROMETER A AND 55 MAXIMUM SHORE DUROMETER A
HOLE DIAMETER0 123/125 INCHES MINIMUM AND 1 2/125 INCHES MAXIMUM
GROOVE WIDTH0 117/500 INCHES MINIMUM AND 133/500 INCHES MAXIMUM
FLANGE THICKNESS0 47/250 INCHES NOMINAL
OVERALL HEIGHT0 297/500 INCHES MINIMUM AND 82/125 INCHES MAXIMUM
END ITEM IDENTIFICATIONW/S: FMS-KNOX CLASS FF; AVIATION ENGINE TEST SYSTEMS (AETS); RADAR SET FIREFINDER (AN/TPQ-36); TRUCK, FORKLIFT, ELECTRIC 6000 LB, 180 IN, ACFE60-24; OVER THE HORIZON BACK SCANNER (OTH-B) PROGRAM (AN/FPS-118); AIRBORNE MOBILE DIR AIR SPT CTL (2ID), (02M JUL83) (AN/UYQ-3A); FIELD ARTILLERY AMMUNITION SUPPORT VEHICLE (FAAGV) (M992); WASP CLASS LHD; TRAILER, SEMI (M172A10); SUPPORT EQUIPMENT , B-52 AIRCRAFT
GROMMET STYLEROUND
LARGE FLANGE OUTSIDE DIAMETER1 719/1000 INCHES MINIMUM AND 1 781/1000 INCHES MAXIMUM
GROOVE OUTSIDE DIAMETER1 359/1000 INCHES MINIMUM AND 1 391/1000 INCHES MAXIMUM
GROMMET CONSTRUCTION TYPESOLID
FEATURES PROVIDEDCOOLANT RESISTANT AND OIL RESISTANT
COLORANY ACCEPTABLE OVERALL
III MATERIALRUBBER SYNTHETIC OVERALL
MATERIAL DOCUMENT AND CLASSIFICATIONASTM D2000 BG515A14B24C32E036F19Z ASSN STD SINGLE MATERIAL RESPONSE OVERALL
PROPRIETARY CHARACTERISTICSPACS

This is the tech data for that grommet. Will it fit your hole?

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I must have 4000 rubber grommets, all the same size. Cut them to your desired mins. 5 pieces per pack, $10.00 includes shipping.

springer1981

Any grommet of roughly the same size but a little larger will work. Take a razor and slice one side of the grommet then wrap it in the hole until it over laps, mark it and cut to size. When installing it put the cut on the bottom of the hole. Most hardware stores will have them.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just curios, I wonder if there is some kind of bonding agent or glue that can securely stick the ends together in situations where you need to keep out as much water as is possible, or where the grommet tends to rotate.

NormB

Any grommet of roughly the same size but a little larger will work. Take a razor and slice one side of the grommet then wrap it in the hole until it over laps, mark it and cut to size. When installing it put the cut on the bottom of the hole. Most hardware stores will have them.
Another tip from an old roadie/ham radio guy: many times you can improvise a solution from what you have on hand.

I HAD bought a grommet for the battery box hole for the 200A alternator cable, couldn't find it. Had some 1/4" ID fuel line handy (with internal braiding), so I cut a length of it about 3" long (C=Pi*r^2 or something), split it along ONE side lengthwise (easy enough to do if you immobilize it in a vise to get the line straight then remove and follow through), then wrapped it around inside the hole. Didn't think to glue the ends together.

Will work for now, or until I get around to ordering another of the correct sized grommets, but I suspect those are as likely to wear/abrade as any others. A spot of silicone sealant holds things in place for now.

springer1981

Just curios, I wonder if there is some kind of bonding agent or glue that can securely stick the ends together in situations where you need to keep out as much water as is possible, or where the grommet tends to rotate.
Yes, super glue. If the ends are cut nice and flat to each other, 1 drop of super glue will do it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks