• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M151A2 no start

60mp1980

Hey guys,

I bought a M151a2 from Eastern Surplus in Philly late last year. Had D&L Bensinger work on it and I was having carb troubles as soon as I got it home in April. Long story short, I nursed it into garage several saturdays ago. After it stalled, I forgot to shut the ignition switch off. After I talked to Daryl and knew I drained the batteries, I bought a 24v battery charger. Charged them up and still no nothing. Gen shows no life. My Dad and I put a NOS ignition switch in today. Reconnected batteries, nothing. Any ideas out there what may be problem?

Thanks,
Eric

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys,

I bought a M151a2 from Eastern Surplus in Philly late last year. Had D&L Bensinger work on it and I was having carb troubles as soon as I got it home in April. Long story short, I nursed it into garage several saturdays ago. After it stalled, I forgot to shut the ignition switch off. After I talked to Daryl and knew I drained the batteries, I bought a 24v battery charger. Charged them up and still no nothing. Gen shows no life. My Dad and I put a NOS ignition switch in today. Reconnected batteries, nothing. Any ideas out there what may be problem?

Thanks,
Eric
Left the ignition switch and burnt the points and condenser , possibily the coil also. Also just a heads up your state is required in your profile (site rule).

fowlercal

Eric,
If you left the ignition switch on for any length of time, you may have burned your coil out if the ignition points were closed. See if you can find or borrow a replacement coil for testing.

Cal

60mp1980

Eric,
If you left the ignition switch on for any length of time, you may have burned your coil out if the ignition points were closed. See if you can find or borrow a replacement coil for testing.

Cal

That was one thought we had. I suggested maybe just buying the new coil and having it on standby.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Eric,

Cal
Either way with the ignition left on long enough to kill the batteries the points and condenser are toast .

LCPL 4

If you have to get a new coil be aware that the shiny new aftermarket ones from overseas are known to often cause problems as well. Most suggest getting ahold of a good takeout one and always have a spare. Good luck.

Also suggest https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M9N48FD/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_Gcb5CbAK0N8W7 to act as a reminder/prevent future occurrence. Also helps to prevent little kids from flipping the switch if you like to let them climb around in it.

Last edited:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you look to see if it had [points or a hall effect type of ign? Power to the solid state module can brn it up too. Also, the wires like to rub on the guide plate and rotor if they aren't routed correctly. I just had to deal with an issue like that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks