• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NATO Plug Questions

Third From Texas

1) Is the single pin plug on the LMTV 24v only?

2) If I wanted to add/mount separate 24v and 12v plugs (to run my own sets of custom jumper cables, 12v to my crane, etc) what gauge should I make my leads coming off the batteries to the plug mount location if I add new ones (is 1 awg needed to be run to the plug or can I get away with smaller cable)?

3) What gauge should I make my jumper cables (doing about 20' cable sets)?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well, you need to see what amp draw you will be using and size the cables accordingly. The plugs are rated at 500amp.

Third From Texas

I'll be using new plugs (one for 12v and another for 24v). I'll be mounting this type of connector (*see image)

41Lpk+cJZSL.jpg

My little electric crane wench only draws 50-70 amps at max load and I was thinking that a set of 6 AGW cables would do for a 20' run (that should reach all four bed corner points).

The jumper cable will likely be 1 gauge pair (there are a few sets on Amazon that fit the bill as cheap as I could make my own). (*see second image)

If I go this route, I'd have one plug for 12v and another for 24v and the jumper cables could be used for either.

91PsgOovy-L._SL1500_.jpg

tobyS

If you crank very long you may smoke #1. I don't know if the connectors will take the load either. Military uses 4/0 for the NATO style. I used 2/0 welding cable and a tig hose cover. Here is mine (partly assembled).

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks