• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Will an HMMWV Engine and/or Transmission fit in my M1009?

Jake59

Hello,

No doubt not a smart question, but can I simply swap a HMMWV engine and/or tansmission into my M1009?

Of course I understand I will likely have to change some parts, like V-belts and some pulleys, but the engine block is fundamentally the same, right?

And what about the transmission? Is this a strait forward bolt onto job my M1009 as well?
Will it fit onto my original engine?
Can I still use my NP208 Transfer box?
What type of transmission does the HMMWV have? TH700?

Sorry for the du**b questions, but rather be safe then soffy!

Got only 20 Hrs to dcide, so urgent feed back most appreciated...
Thank you,

Jake

Hummermark

Hi I did it the other way round m1009 engine in to Humvee if you have the m1009 engine then you can change all the parts over ie manifolds sump glow plugs.
the non over drive transmission factory set up would be the th400.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Humvees came with different transmissions based on the year. They evolved like everything else. The first Humvees had 6.2's with T400 trannys. Later models with the upgraded 6.5NA and 6.5 turbo diesel moved on to the T700R4, then the 4L60 and finally the current 4L80E.

The output shaft on the T400 is 32 spline. The input on the NP208 is also 32 spline, obvious but worth mentioning.

The T700 and the 4L60 both have 27 spline output shafts but the case is extremely close to the same length as the T400. You can get a custom 32 spline output for these transmissions if you search for them.

As far as I know the engine dimensions are identical between the 6.2 and 6.5. I hope so because I'm restoring my 1984 M1008 and installing a 6.5 Turbo Diesel with 4L80E from a 2006 Humvee into it. I'm keeping the serpentine system and all accessories; ps pump, 12/24 volt alternator, ac compressor, fan,etc.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

richingalveston

I thought the humvee turbo's were center mount. i don't have a humvee and never worked on one but i thought they were a center mount turbo and not a side mount. please correct me so i will know in the future

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks