• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

intake gaskets for 1992 6.2 diesel

95BARVO

I have a bad valve cover leak on my 1992 M998 which has the 6.2 diesel. It looks like I need to pull the intake and remove the fuel injector lines to install new valve cover RTV to fix the leak.

Does the 6.2 diesel have the same intake gaskets that a civilian GM pickup 6.2 would have? If so I would just orders them from our local NAPA.

Also any tips and tricks for the valve cover job?

thanks for your help!

Keith_J

The gasket set I got from Amazon has gaskets for all manifolds, including earlier EGR options. Delphi 7135-263. Get a good gasket scraper, plug the intake ports with paper towels. Crowfoot wrench set with long extension helps on the IP nuts on the injector lines.

While at it, this is a great time to port match the intake manifold. Make sure the oil drain back passages are clear. And check crankcase pressure and blow by as this will increase leak rate.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
If you do not own any line wrenches now is a good time to invest in some before you round off flare nuts on the injector lines. Clean and keep clean, dirt is your enemy here or anywhere there is fuel going into any fuel line. Do not twist off lines. If one seems to be rusted up put some penetrating oil on, and try and run nut back and forth to help with breaking free. Good Luck

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First off, the factory does not use a gasket on valve covers, just straight RTV sealant, the key is a clean oil free application surface, followed by a NEW cover, do not reuse the old cover unless you want to be doing it again.
Next up, you don’t need to remove the intake manifold, just undo the hardlines at the injectors and bend them upwards just enough to get the old cover off and on.
After you install the new cover, wait 24hrs before operating the engine

rcamacho

First off, the factory does not use a gasket on valve covers, just straight RTV sealant, the key is a clean oil free application surface, followed by a NEW cover, do not reuse the old cover unless you want to be doing it again.
Next up, you don’t need to remove the intake manifold, just undo the hardlines at the injectors and bend them upwards just enough to get the old cover off and on.
After you install the new cover, wait 24hrs before operating the engine
Any tip on transferring emissions / compliance stickers to new covers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any tip on transferring emissions / compliance stickers to new covers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
no sir....consider those as permanent.
It can be problem if in fact your state requires it, but if you have ever tried to get a factory valve cover off without bending and distorting it, you would know that it would be leaking again within minutes.
just my experience.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks