Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: How to fix Blowby

Sergeant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chainbreaker View Post
    Regarding # 1 on your list. A nice easy load tester can be had by using a 240V garage heater such as the type sold at Northern Tool or Rural King. Its fairly small & compact and provides a balanced load on each 120V leg of 240V. When not using as a load tester you can even use it as a garage heater!

Example of a 5 / 7.5 Kw unit: [URL="https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200631888_200631888[/URL]
    Good idea but Iíve already bought the parts to build the breaker box. Iíll post pictures when Iím done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sergeant
    Thanks

Ok. Here is the electrical setup. Still have some more wiring to do as it will have two banks of plugs. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...1fa42baf06.jpg

This is about a $75 solution that has a few other purposes.

Sergeant
    Thanks

Ok. Here is the final product for my breakout electrical box.

50A electric range plug (I already have the outlet installed on my generator.)
    Circuit breaker box with two 30A breakers
    Then splits off into two sets of plugs. Each plug box is on separate 120V legs.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...7558a4af2c.jpg

Sergeant
    Thanks

Just an update. Load testing the generator. Iím using 5 space heaters. I can get up to almost 30 amps on one leg and 23 amps on the other. Unfortunately because of the setup I canít even it out any more. Either way Iím running it over 100% per the gauge (which Iíve calibrated when I got the machine doing some simple math). It blows smoke at this power setting but if one of the space heaters kicks off because of over heat, it drops down to 85% load which does not smoke. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...698edb35dd.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...3ca2fa5e69.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...6ad021447f.jpg

Sergeant
    Thanks

My 803A smokes at hard pull power settings. I think a resistive 100% load on a 240v setting for an 802 should be something around 21 Amps (going by 5000W / 240 V= 20.8 Amps). You had that machine running at 145% capacity. I wouldn't run it at that level for any serious length of time, but you should be impressed by the capacity of the unit! It sounds like you just need to exercise the engine and keep it healthy!

Sergeant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by devilphrog View Post
    My 803A smokes at hard pull power settings. I think a resistive 100% load on a 240v setting for an 802 should be something around 21 Amps (going by 5000W / 240 V= 20.8 Amps). You had that machine running at 145% capacity. I wouldn't run it at that level for any serious length of time, but you should be impressed by the capacity of the unit! It sounds like you just need to exercise the engine and keep it healthy!
    Well remember that the military derated the machines to 80%. So the true max 100% load should be the 26A per leg on 240v that is listed on the placard above the fuel tank.

Am I wrong?

Sergeant
    Thanks

I think you may be correct Sir, but I believe the 26A is for inductive loads and the 80% is for resistive loads? I read something on one of the threads here from an Electrical Engineering type person who is way smarter on this stuff. I know with the unit that I had that had cracked pistons, it smoked the entire time from startup to load application and was harder to start.

4 Star General Light in the Dark's Avatar
    Thanks

The rating on the machine is at .8 PF, and is where the manufacturer (and Armed Forces) have rated the machine for its prime designation.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Light in the Dark For This Useful Post:

devilphrog (06-05-2019)

Sergeant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Light in the Dark View Post
    The rating on the machine is at .8 PF, and is where the manufacturer (and Armed Forces) have rated the machine for its prime designation.
    What does that mean? Does it hurt it to run it at or above a total draw of 52A continuously or not?

General
    Thanks

Smoke coming out of a 802 with 52a is prob not a good thing. Stop taking the machine over its rated capacity, your not doing it any favors by doing this.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast