• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

War pics questions

beehumvee

Hi all! I have some doubts about those pics. In the sand colour vehicle, there is a net on the rear door gap, is it possible to find one of these in the market? Where is it tiep up?

There are also several bags hanging from B pillar, could somebody knows what bags are they? Where are they tiep up?

I can see also some covers rolled up in the top of the side and in the top of the windshield... what the **** is that?

Regarding the other picture, the dark colour vehicle, what is the sand colour thing on the tailgate? What kind of bags are the ones holding on the troop seats?

Hope you like those pics.

Thanks for help.

Attachments

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nets look like general purpose cargo nets. Bag hanging from the pillar under the M240 machine gun is a M40 protective mask carrier. Rolled up tarps look like covers designed to camouflage the vehicle and perhaps protect interior from weather. On the tailgate is a combat identification panel (CIP). It provides a means of identifying friendly vehicles thru thermal optics. The large bag on the outside of the troop seats is a US issue ALICE rucksack.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
The first picture looks to be a vehicle from the 13th Combat Engineers, Bravo Company, 54 Engineer Battalion. Deployed out of Bamberg Germany.

Last edited:

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Photo looks like early OIF, ‘03-04 timeframe. 54EN BN at the time was part of 130th EN BDE but detached to 3ID during the breach and subsequent attack into Iraq. That does look like a 54EN HMMWV, if so the bumper numbers are for 130th Engineer Brigade, 54th Engineer Battalion, B Company, vehicle 17. Vehicle 17 would likely denote 1st platoon, platoon sergeant; “1” for first platoon, “7” for the typical senior NCO designator at the referenced echelon.

54EN is no longer in Bamberg. They’re now the brigade engineer battalion for 173 ABN in Vincenza, Italy.

Guyfang

Staff member
Photo looks like early OIF, ‘03-04 timeframe. 54EN BN at the time was part of 130th EN BDE but detached to 3ID during the breach and subsequent attack into Iraq. That does look like a 54EN HMMWV, if so the bumper numbers are for 130th Engineer Brigade, 54th Engineer Battalion, B Company, vehicle 17. Vehicle 17 would likely denote 1st platoon, platoon sergeant; “1” for first platoon, “7” for the typical senior NCO designator at the referenced echelon.

54EN is no longer in Bamberg. They’re now the brigade engineer battalion for 173 ABN in Vincenza, Italy.

Yep. You nailed it on the head. I forgot the 0 at the end of 13. I did a lot of work to get them ready for that deployment. If I remember right, they lost 2 soldiers that deployment, and had several more wounded. One of the 54th guys was the son of a soldier I promoted to E-4 in 1980? I gave his Father a baby carriage I didn't need anymore. The Father went on to be a CSM in 12th Aviation. The son was an E4 when they came back from that rotation. What a small world.

DREDnot

The 2nd vehicle appears to have no windshield wipers or glass, was that standard? I see them coming out of GP that way.
I'm pretty sure that the GP units without windshields are from the demil process of removing the armored glass

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm pretty sure that the GP units without windshields are from the demil process of removing the armored glass

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
The second pic from the OP is fully loaded out in the field, and no armor on the rest of the truck, so not likely to be demil in this case.

Probably a combination of factors including as was just mentioned aircon, as well as not wanting it turned into shrapnel when hit by bullets, and allows interior occupants to shoot straight ahead without anything in the way. plus it's hard to see through shattered glass anyway, this removes that possibility.

beehumvee

Hi again, its interesting how much equipment they carry in humvees. And your high level of knowledge is amazing. Thanks for the help

Weller

Hi again, its interesting how much equipment they carry in humvees. And your high level of knowledge is amazing. Thanks for the help
Yes, thanks from me too. I'm glad this was posted. My HMMWV is near identical to the 2nd one. No doors, desert tan, etc. I may add the cargo netting (my stuff has often fallen out) and a canvas top I can roll down the sides (like in the photo). When I got my vehicle the floor was covered in spent brass (saved it all). I'm now a bit more curious about its history. I believe mine was last used at Fort Irwin.

20160813_070401.jpg 20160813_090558.jpg

Any significance to the blue reflective tape on the hood?

Crapgame

Spearin-3.jpgGMV .jpg6x6 GMV Door Net2.jpg25.jpgGMV Up Gunned3.jpg42.jpgODA 551 Karbala Gap GMV.jpgabe_sized.jpg6x6 GMV Door Net1.jpg
The OIF GMV Pic, I know for sure it isn't a repurposed Sponson Net, I tried it in all four planes. So it is either a cut down M1025 Hatch Net, Pallet Net or something they had their Parachute Riggers sew up. Some of the pics show the net popriveted directly to the door sill, some show a 1" Fastex Buckle on some of the vertical and/or horizontal webbing for quick access to cargo. I don't think I've seen two that are exactly the same, same applies to GMVs, there is no cookie-cutter answer to anything over the stable of GMVs within the Special Forces Regiment, probably only a common Load Plan among ODAs. Attached is a net I was playing with made from 1" webbing I already had. I suspect the nets are made from a Mil 4088 Type 17 1" nylon webbing which is a single herringbone weave pattern you see in the pallet and sponson nets. I used Mil 43668 1" Camo Green 483 because that's what I had 3 rolls of I bought cheap. I tried making the net in few different spacings, from 7.5" x7.5" but the issue ACH/MICH Helmet could fall right through it. Settled on the 6"x6" squares you see in this pic. Net can be attached several ways, from using webbing anchor loops with male Fastex, a short fixed webbing Figure 8 loop with the male fastex in one end and a 1" footman loop passed through the other end, that you can pop rivet to the underside of the door sill.

Last edited:

Wire Fox

View attachment 765591View attachment 765588View attachment 765585View attachment 765592View attachment 765589View attachment 765586View attachment 765590View attachment 765587View attachment 765584
The OIF GMV Pic, I know for sure it isn't a repurposed Sponson Net, I tried it in all four planes. So it is either a cut down M1025 Hatch Net, Pallet Net or something they had their Parachute Riggers sew up. Some of the pics show the net popriveted directly to the door sill, some show a 1" Fastex Buckle on some of the vertical and/or horizontal webbing for quick access to cargo. I don't think I've seen two that are exactly the same, same applies to GMVs, there is no cookie-cutter answer to anything over the stable of GMVs within the Special Forces Regiment, probably only a common Load Plan among ODAs. Attached is a net I was playing with made from 1" webbing I already had. I suspect the nets are made from a Mil 4088 Type 17 1" nylon webbing which is a single herringbone weave pattern you see in the pallet and sponson nets. I used Mil 43668 1" Camo Green 483 because that's what I had 3 rolls of I bought cheap. I tried making the net in few different spacings, from 7.5" x7.5" but the issue ACH/MICH Helmet could fall right through it. Settled on the 6"x6" squares you see in this pic. Net can be attached several ways, from using webbing anchor loops with male Fastex, a short fixed webbing Figure 8 loop with the male fastex in one end and a 1" footman loop passed through the other end, that you can pop rivet to the underside of the door sill.
I love the replacement of the blackout lamp with the IR spot in the second-to-last picture. I've thought about doing that to my HMMWV if I ever pick up a set of NODs. Can't help but think that the sad, little blackout lamp would never be as much use as an IR flood light...

Crapgame

Another GMV pic showing female Fastex buckles poprivetted or screwed to the rear door sill, for attaching a quick releasable configuration door net.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks