• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can't find the list of parts to go 12 volt only ? help.

Blairg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually pretty easy to do I think. Plenty of step up convertors to take it from 12v to 24v. I had researched it when I had a Unimog 1300 that had 24v. Found it was easier to add a 24v to 12v convertor to add 12v items.

Blair

1951M1078

I went up to Overland Expo and on the way back my 12-24 system went wonke again. Just sat at 23 +- all the way home. Then the next day it was back to twitching from 24 to 28. This was the way it has been after replacing a voltage regulator. Had forgot about the trans controller needing 24 volt. I am just getting to the point of using it more often and do not want problems on the road.

I will go back and take a look at the battery's and grounds.

Thanks for the input.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Just fab up a bracket based on the MTVR ac bracket to add an additional alternator and ditch the military one and run strictly brushless units and be done. Should be under $500 for Delco 24v and 12v alternator along with the fab work for the bracket. Alternators would be side by side

You could easily put a 33si 24v in place of the current alternator and a 23si alternator on the side spot.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't trust your voltmeter! Mine reads zero, 22, 24, 28, 34 depending on how hard you tap on the glass. Verify with a known good vom at the power points near the PDP.

1951M1078

Good point. I'm installing a USB that has a meter in it maybe it will help with the gauge ? But it will be on the 12 volt side.

Ronmar

Check all your connections between alt and battery. The reg on the dual volt alt acts weird if it doesn't see what it thinks it should in terms of battery at the end of the line.

A little research indicates that the WTEC can run on 12V. All the low volt alarms are set below 12V. There are part numbers for 12 and 24V Vehicle Interface Modules. The 24V VIM actually uses the term voltage regulator in its title...

CTIS is still 28v...

Ronmar

Forgot to mention that you should also check the excitation circuit. A bad relay contact or connection up in the PDP could keep the alternator from ever being enabled, or to be enabled intermittently...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks