• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4 person intercom with ability to link in cell phone

broylz

I've been looking at race team types, aviation types and the vic 1 and 3 intercoms but I cant seem to find one that does everything I want it to do... I am hoping someone here has better knowledge than I on the subject.

I eventually plan to add a HAM and CB setup to my hmmwv but also want to be able to use my cell phone as a GPS and radio and to take calls all while wearing a headset in the beast. Does anyone know of any systems that can be hooked up to a cell and a radio and maybe a channel selector to switch between them? I have a family of 3 so having a 4 man setup would be ideal as well even if 90% of the time, I will be alone in the truck driving to work and such.

tobyS

Oops, made comment in the thread linked above. Last Augi posted was end of 2017. Maybe he would set somebody up to make them if the demand was too high for him.

I want a system too, but don't have anything but the cell phone and I-pad.

papakb

Augi (Cam) upgraded the interfaces to fit into a C-2298 box that replaced his original design and may still have a few around. After selling out of the early model the demand wasn't great enough to do another run. My suggestion is to send him a PM and see what he's up to now. Maybe if enough people contact him he'd consider another run of them.

Steve is right that California and most states don't want you driving around with your ears covered but the HMMWVs have that "hearing protection required" warning label that suggests otherwise. General Dynamics made a very nice single earpiece headset with a boom mike that allows the best of both worlds and keeps you legal.

Augi

Unfortunately demand for these has dropped off. I get maybe one person every other or every third month asking. I need to do 20 at a time to make it worthwhile.

Augi

PS here is the CVC that covers headphones in California. The letter of the law says no-go but I'd argue the hearing protection front in section d.

Code:
27400.  A person operating a motor vehicle or bicycle may not wear a headset covering, earplugs in, or earphones covering, resting on, or inserted in, both ears. This prohibition does not apply to any of the following:

(a) A person operating authorized emergency vehicles, as defined in Section 165.

(b) A person engaged in the operation of either special construction equipment or equipment for use in the maintenance of any highway.

(c) A person engaged in the operation of refuse collection equipment who is wearing a safety headset or safety earplugs.

(d) A person wearing personal hearing protectors in the form of earplugs or molds that are specifically designed to attenuate injurious noise levels. The plugs or molds shall be designed in a manner so as to not inhibit the wearer’s ability to hear a siren or horn from an emergency vehicle or a horn from another motor vehicle.

(e) A person using a prosthetic device that aids the hard of hearing.

Last edited:

riderdan

Not that there are any sensible judges/juries in CA, but if they cited you all you'd need to do is to offer them a ride to get them to agree that hearing protection is necessary. And honestly, most passive noise reduction systems aren't going to prevent you from hearing horns or sirens, they'll just be less noticeable/loud.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks