• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CA law

Saberr

Well, i got a m37 54 w/w unit. Runs and drives just fine (even had a state title). Went to dmv, got it all registered and at the last minute i was informed that it may not be road legal because of being military.... Apparently in 2017 CA passed a law that dmv can only register ex military vehicles for off road use only (any ex military vehicle). Now i have to go to CHP to get an inspection, and they will decide its fate.... Oh ya, and no vehicles even registered are grandfathered in, may be asked to come in for verification upon registration renewal.

CMPPhil

Hi

Hope this not a preview of coming soon to a DMV near you?

But I have a question has California banned Ford Model Ts , Hot Rods, Beach Buggies etc from the road as well? Wonder how the are going to handle the civilian Dodge Power Wagon of the same period?

I wish you luck.

Cheers Phil

MAdams

I would try another DMV. I had one DMV lady tell me the same thing but the memo she showed me only applied to AM General because of the humvee. I went back a week later and had my 5 ton registered no problem.

8madjack

Actually despite my previous Outburst, I recently just renewed my 5-ton registration with historic plates no hassle whatsoever and with the car culture being so huge in this state I seriously I doubt they're going to start coming after people who are already registered at least. Percy I would love to start seeing some mtvr on the road and I've seen a few Humvees around in my area, but my area is pretty conservative maybe they march to a different beat.

You would think with the difficulties some people are having with registration that the Humvee prices would be stagnant. I think all MV sales would be stagnant if they really start making registration impossible.

Weller

I see 5-tons with historic plates driving through Kern County and I've seen an increase in on road HMMWVs as well. I'm having same thoughts that prices would be stagnant but that doesn't appear to be the case watching sales out of Yermo.

Saberr

What threw me is they registered my military Jeep not too long ago an m38a1 about 2 years. Also the truck is last forestry so I was hoping that would be no issue. I was rather blindsided because I had to bring it in for visual inspection because of it being an out-of-state truck. I would be tempted to take it to another DMV, but the visual inspector already wrote me up paperwork for the CHP to look at it, so I believe that's in the records.

dvdrom

I'm working on trying to register mine in CA now. Had a vehicle registration company look it over and said that I need an inspection since the VIN is under 17 digits. They said they would forward my paperwork over and I would be contacted since I need a referral. Guess we will see where it goes from there...

Saberr

I just got mine done. (don't use M word at dmv (its a farm truck)). If you can, find a register that deals with/or has time in service, they are much more understanding. Its not like most of us are pulling up in humvees, troop trucks, or armored vehicles. Mine is under the 17 digit, and he called head office in Sacramento, and they had no issue at all with vin.

socalsrt

I had some difficulty with this when registering my M1028. DMV kept calling it a 'tactical vehicle'. I spoke with the manager and showed her the truck, she agreed with me it is indeed a pick up truck with a 17 digit VIN with a federal emission label and registered it with no further difficulties. Oh that, $400 and a four hour wait.

For those outside of CA, our DMV is ridiculously difficult to deal with. Insane amount of laws/rules and most of the DMV employees do not understand them. Makes it very frustrating for everyone, including the DMV clerks. In this case I was happy she at least took the three minutes to walk to the parking lot and look at the truck. Be leave it or not this was one of the more pleasant DMV experiences I have had. Shoot me a message if you have any questions. I researched it pretty heavily before buying the M1028.

Also, the PDF attached is the memo they are talking about with regards to not being able to register some military vehicles.

Attachments

socalsrt

Continued..I forgot I saved these ones too. The 15-19 talks about registering loaner vehicles to, I think, other local government agencies. The 17-27 deals with the SF-97 and where to send the registration package.

I printed these out and took them with me and this seemed to speed up the process. By that I mean they didn't spend any time looking stuff up which I took to mean this is what they needed to know.

Attachments

Saberr

Great info to have, looking into getting a cucv, I decided if i do, ill just go to a private vin verifier/dmv service provider. The $50 fee is worth it, they don't hassle with the military issue then. What ticked me offf the most is that i had a clean Nevada title for it, Yep ca dmv is a different level. Thx socalsrt.

Finallygotone

we still are free here in Louisiana, got stopped by a cop the other day, he says you don't have a plate, said sure don't and don't need one, his reply how do you know that, I said cause I do, you need to learn the law before you pull me over again, he turned around and got in his car and left, we pay to be harassed by this kind of crap, won't put up with it.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
we still are free here in Louisiana, got stopped by a cop the other day, he says you don't have a plate, said sure don't and don't need one, his reply how do you know that, I said cause I do, you need to learn the law before you pull me over again, he turned around and got in his car and left, we pay to be harassed by this kind of crap, won't put up with it.
Wrong aditude , better to educate them than pizz them off.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like in Louisiana the cops better be educated before they're let loose on the public, nice work. They may get taught a lesson from someone who's educated and a little less than happy to be pulled over. The message is the same whether it's being screamed or spoken softley. He probably just wanted to touch the truck and maybe should have waited for some consensual time.

Finallygotone

[B]porkysplace[/B], yes I could have but he approached me with a shitty attitude, same Parish where an off duty cop told me if you come into our parish we will arrest you, book you, lock you up and tow the truck in, I just simple asked when do you go back on duty and tell me where you want to meet, this one got out of his unit with his hand on his gun and started his smart mouth, I really don't think that one could learn, here recently I got rear ended by an 18 year old on her cell and the State Police asked if there was a licence plate between that car and the rear end told him no and explained about the exemption of this 1990 5 ton and show him all the info. on the dash, he was respectful and thanked me for helping him learn of this, if they show respect I will.
[B]m1010plowboy[/B], his kind of attitude no matter where he works he will remain ignorant, guess he can get back in his unit and google while he is driving, that is what I call a two dollar an hour hand.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks