• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter Problems M1009

gajol

Hello, first of all many thanks to everyone who is involved in this forum, without your help I often would not have been able to get ahead.

I have a strange starter problem where I can't get any further. I've been trying to solve this for a year now without success. It started with the fact that the starter didn't stop runnig during the starting process, even if you pulled the key. It was necessary to disconnect the battery. That went then so far that sometime the magnet coil burned out and on the entire electrical system a short circuit was. Some fusible links and diodes melted. Thereupon I renewed the starter and the starter relay. Now it went again optimally for approx. 20 starting procedures. When I tried to start yesterday the starter made only a clicking noise when turning the ignition key. I tried it a few times and noticed then that something smelled cokelig from the hood. I suspect it was the magnet coil of the starter, which was also very hot. Now comes the strangest thing: When I tried to find the problem after the start attempts I heard a howl, which probably came from the solenoid coil. The ignition was switched off and there should be no current on the starter.

What could that be? The gears of the flywheel? Mine aren't the best anymore, I already filed them. A faulty installation of the starter (too many /) too few shims? A short circuit in the electrical system?

gajol

so here's a quick update:
for all those who don't live in the usa and the purchase at napa doesn't work: the alternative relay is available at granit-parts. the part number for simplicity is identical.
granit.jpg

i guess i found the error: it was that a cable loosened on the battery pole. i replaced the battery terminals and the connection was not tight enough. it was the cable i was pointing to on the picture.
IMG_20190522_191427.jpg

here is a picture how i realized the disconnection of the board power supply, so that the batteries are not drained when standing for a longer time.

IMG_20190522_191507.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks