• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

front driveshaft boot?

319cssb

The 20p shows a boot on the front driveshaft , I don't see it on my truck. When I googled photo's of the front driveshaft I don't see a boot , either.
Am I missing something here?

cucvrus

They had 2 types. Type 1 had the grease fitting. Type 2 had the sealed/booted unit. Both are fine. And you can run without the boot. Just be sure to do a semi annual cleaning and greasing of the spline and yoke. It has worked on my trucks for 20 + years. The type one with the grease fittings works well also as long as it is cleaned lubed and maintained. Good Luck. They do make new driveshafts that have newer types of boots.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To my knowledge long since discontinued. I had a few and they were $100. each the last few I had. I could be wrong but Tinstar also was in search of. Good Luck.
I bought the last one you had.
Still sealed in factory GM packaging.

cucvrus

:-D
I bought the last one you had.
Still sealed in factory GM packaging.
That will never seal the driveshaft sealed in the GM packaging.:grin: But truthfully there are many companies out there that made dust covers for driveshaft slip joints. You wanted an OEM one and I bought everyone I could find 20 years ago.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:-DBut truthfully there are many companies out there that made dust covers for driveshaft slip joints
The boot simply isn’t made anymore.
By Anyone.
At least that I’m aware of.
I even called Spicer and they have zero intentions of making any.

I haven’t even installed mine yet.
Will do it when front driveshaft needs new ujoints.

cucvrus

For all intended proposes one can simply take a motorcycle innertube and cut a short section out of it and clamp/zip tie/duct tape it fast if you are looking for function not form. It works. I used it on other vehicles that were Off Road use only. Or for temporary if you are that fussy. It works and I don't have show trucks that I am out using hard. I cut short pieces of fuel line filled them with grease and slipped over them glow plugs on a few plow trucks. It sure stopped the corrosion of the glow plugs every year. It has been 3 years since I even looked at the glow plugs ad they were badly corroded every year before. Good Luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks