Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: RAILROAD CROSSING SAFETY - Sheriff Officer Hit - could have been any of us.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,866 Times in 5,783 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ferroequinologist View Post
    I have days off my life from the heart stopping incidents when someone pulls out in front of me, runs the gates, or is trespassing... All I can do is set the brakes, make noise and hold on. And sometimes there isn't time to do any of it...

The industry average is you will kill someone every 2 years of your career...
    Hey, Ferroequinologist, I meant to circle back and apologize to you.

I was stupid as a kid (not saying I got over that either), and the things I did might have turned wrong, and for more people than just me.

Now, finally, I get it.

That statistic of yours (every two years), shouldn't happen to anyone. I never meant to make small of it. Just telling stories from when I was a kid.

I wish a blessing on you of peace always, and hope you beat the statistic. There's my wish!
    M35A2 w/Winch SOLD

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Another Ahab For This Useful Post:

98G (06-22-2019), Amer-team (06-23-2019), Ferroequinologist (06-22-2019), marchplumber (06-22-2019), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (06-22-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,319 Times in 1,262 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Another Ahab View Post
    Hey, Ferroequinologist, I meant to circle back and apologize to you.

I was stupid as a kid (not saying I got over that either), and the things I did might have turned wrong, and for more people than just me.

Now, finally, I get it.

That statistic of yours (every two years), shouldn't happen to anyone. I never meant to make small of it. Just telling stories from when I was a kid.

I wish a blessing on you of peace always, and hope you beat the statistic. There's my wish!
    DITTO!

Pray you NEVER have to witness /go through this type of thing, Ferro!!
    God bless,
    Tony

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marchplumber For This Useful Post:

Ferroequinologist (06-22-2019), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (06-22-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 22,086 Times in 7,639 Posts

Ferro,
    You serve this nation in a thankless job. Those horrible things to which you are at risk are beyond the comprehension of John Q Public.
    Please know that you are in our prayers as well as your fellow train drivers and crews.... AND you have our appreciation and SALUTE. Your contributions are recognized and honors bestowed, Sir.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to USAFSS-ColdWarrior For This Useful Post:

Amer-team (06-23-2019), Another Ahab (06-23-2019), Ferroequinologist (06-22-2019), marchplumber (06-22-2019)

4 Star General Ferroequinologist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 791 Posts

Hey Ahab,
    Don't worry about it. We all have done stupid stuff as kids and teens, we are blessed to have lived through!

I'm not a 'mainline' engineer, so I don't put in nearly the hours on the road as most train crews. I have had about 50 really close calls and only one vehicle hit in my career thus far. I have been lucky and hope to remain so.

The best thing you or anyone can do is harp on safety at crossings and try and prevent trespassing. A friend hit a teen 3 days ago, she was crossing the tracks with earbuds in and he said she never looked up or both ways, even with him blaring the horn. Such a sad loss because of a single moment of carelessness.

And thank you USAFSS, for your kind words. PTSD is a little recognized issue within the railroader community, but fairly rampant. I still have occasional nightmares about some of the close calls. Others have it much worse.
    Last edited by Ferroequinologist; 06-22-2019 at 23:31.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ferroequinologist For This Useful Post:

Amer-team (06-23-2019), Another Ahab (06-23-2019), marchplumber (06-22-2019), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (06-23-2019)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5